Is It Possible to Find Low to No Cost Mommy Makeover Surgery Anywhere?

I am a 31 year old stay at home mom who has recently busted butt to lose 70 lbs and after having 3 c-sections and breastfeeding all 3 of those babies my body is in desperate need of repair but being a stay at home mom I can't afford it. Are there doctors who will take on a pro bono case possible for me due to my weight loss and such? I just want to be happy but even my size 8 jeans can't make me smile when I have to tuck my belly skin into them. thank you

Cosmetic surgery is never free

Congratulations on your weight loss. Depending on how much loose skin you have you may qualify for a panniculectomy (cutting just the excess skin that hangs down from your tummy) paid for by insurance. This will not address your breasts or give you the best result for your tummy, but it will make your jeans fit better. Best of luck.

Mommy Makeover Surgery - Usually Not Pro Bono

Losing seventy pounds is a tremendous accomplishment. Unfortunately, when this type of weight loss occurs it’s often accompanied by the development of loose saggy skin. The breasts, abdomen, flanks, arms and thighs are especially prone to this type of sag.

Unfortunately, procedures of this type are expensive and aren’t generally done on a “pro bono” basis. In the Midwestern United States this type of procedure would cost between $11,000 and $13,000. This would include facility fees, surgeon’s fees, anesthesia charges and implant costs.

There’s probably no question that you would benefit from these procedures. Since you have limited funds and a significant need for these procedures you might consider other options. It might be possible to obtain plastic surgery financing through Care Credit. Staging these procedures might also be appropriate until more funds are available. In some cases, it may be possible to lower cost by going to a resident clinic at a teaching hospital.

The vast majority of massive weight loss patients develop excess saggy skin. The correction of these problems is not unique. If everything else fails, saving additional funds is a possibility. Although this may be difficult, it’s probably easier then losing seventy pounds.

Mommy makeover surgery

You can see if a university hospital near you (perhaps University of Washington) has a plastic surgery training program which often times has low rates for plastic surgery performed by residents under supervision of senior surgeons. This is commonly known as a Resident's Clinic.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Free mommy makeover?

There are not likely any free mommy makeovers.  However, you can get some significant savings if you can find a doctor that will advocate on your behalf and write letters to insurance providers.  The two procedures that can be covered by insurance are a breast reduction which also lifts the breast and makes them perky and a panniculectomy.  Although the latter is not a tummy tuck, if it is covered by insurance it will potentially save you thousands of dollars off the cost of your tummy tuck procedure.

You could also enquire as to whether their is a chief resident clinic where the most senior plastic surgery residents, under the supervision of a staff surgeon, perform your surgery.  There can be significant cost savings with that as well.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Ass't Clin Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Mommy makeovers are considered cosmetic.

It takes a lot of hard work and determination to lose weight, especially while raising your kids. Unfortunately, there are no low-cost or free mommy makeovers, but there are financing plans for people who, like you, are candidates for cosmetic surgery but need to pay for procedures in installments. The primary example of this is the CareCredit® card, which can be used specifically for health and beauty needs and functions like a typical credit card. Most plastic surgeons these days are familiar with options like CareCredit® and their staff can explain more about the application process.

Fees

First off, make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon for any plastic surgery. There are many cosmetic surgeons who may not be trained in plastic surgery who still can offer you surgery. Second, don't let price drive you to have surgery from a surgeon with whom you are not comfortable with. Third, you need to decide between breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, mini-tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, and body lift procedures.
In Columbus, Ohio where I practice, the total price (surgeon's fees, anesthesia fees and facility fees) for a mommy makeover can range between $6000 and $14000

Low cost mommy makeover

I can't comment on your particular region, but in general it is difficult for surgeons to offer pro bono work because their own fee is just one part of the overall cost.  Other costs are not in their control, like the price of supplies, anaesthetic, nursing, overhead, etc.  Another option would be to finance the operation over 5-6 years to make it more affordable.  There are a number of companies that specialize in financing surgical procedures so hopefully one of them will be able to assist you.

Be Wary of 'Bargain' Cosmetic Surgery

The safest way to obtain cost-effective surgery is probably to obtain a consultation at a teaching hospital in the 'Resident Aesthetic Clinic.' This typically involves a plastic surgery resident towards the end of his/her training who performs the operation under the supervision of a senior plastic surgeon. 

Shopping around for 'cheap' cosmetic surgery can unfortunately be a dangerous proposition, as there are many practitioners who are not qualified by an appropriate board that perform these procedures. Be sure to check the credentials of every surgeon, but especially one who is offering you 'bargain' prices.

Good luck and congratulations on the weight loss!

Bryan Correa, MD

Contact the surgeons in your area

Congratulations on your weight loss! You must be proud of yourself.

You will have to contact the surgeons in your area to see if they will take on your case. Best of luck.

Elective cosmetic procedures cannot be free

Congratulations on losing a substantial amount of weight! Unfortunately, mommy makeovers cannot be offered at low to no cost as it is a more complex combination elective procedure that cannot be covered by insurance. In addition to a surgeon’s professional fees, there are additional costs in regards to anesthesia, facilities, and medical staff care that cannot be waived. I would advise finding a board certified plastic surgeon who provides financing options, such as CareCredit®, to help make a mommy makeover more affordable.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon