BBL, TT & BA In One Surgery- Too Much?

Hi, What is your opinion on getting a brazilian butt lift, a full tummy tuck and breast aug at the same time. My doctor says it will be done outpatient? i thought that to be a little drastic?

Surgery amount and outpatient or not

+2

It sounds like a good deal of surgery. I would likely split it up into lesser procedures over time and arrange some aftercare at the very least.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

BBL, TT, and BA in One Surgery

+1
Typically in my practice we do these procedures at the same time as long as the total surgery time is less than 6 hours. It is a common choice for Mommy Makeover patients. It makes a lot of sense to combine procedures: One recovery, and only being put asleep once and waking up, only one recovery room charge etc. Another advantage is that you can harvest fat from the tummy including the extra part that would be discarded in a tummy tuck and use if for the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL). This can be done on an outpatient basis or with an overnight stay in an aftercare facility or in some surgery centers.

On the other hand, having staged, separate, procedures make sense for some. In that case, would do your tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and breasts  at the same time, and the BBL later

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Can I Do Three Procedures At The Same Surgery?

+1

Your question is a great question, and the answer is multifactorial.  First of all, are you in good health, do you smoke, do you have asthma, do you have high blood pressure and if so, is it well controlled?  There are pros and cons for doing three surgeries at one setting versus breaking them up into two or three settings. 

The speed of your surgeon is certainly an important component.  Some surgeons are faster than others, and therefore multiple procedures can be done in a shorter period of time.  You obviously need a Board Certified plastic surgeon truly experienced in the Mommy Makeover.  The combination of the multiple procedures in a Mommy Makeover are definitely different than doing each surgery separately.  You obviously need a Board Certified anesthesiologist and a surgeon with an experienced, dedicated team.  Hospital settings where the team isn't used to the elements of a Mommy Makeover may be a very safe place to operate, but the procedures may go slower leading to the necessity of breaking up the Mommy Makeover into its component parts.

If your breast augmentation and tummy tuck are straight forward procedures (no lifts, no extended tummy tuck, etc.), and if you have sufficient fat on the back part of your body (love handles, thighs, etc.) to yield enough fat for the Brazilian butt lift, and if you have done your homework, found a great surgeon who does a lot of Mommy Makeovers, then I would say the combined surgeries may, in fact, be a very safe way to get everything done at once and skip multiple anesthesias.  Post operatively, in my practice with this many procedures, I would certainly keep you overnight to add that extra layer of protection. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Multiple operations and outpatient surgery.

+1

There are two issues which arise in answering your question:

1. Length of surgery and appropriateness for an overnight hospital stay.
  2. Postoperative recovery for the overlapping surgeries.

For surgical procedures which go beyond 4-5 hours, having the initial recovery in an overnight suite or hospital allows for appropriate monitoring of the patient and fluid management. Issues with pain management, nausea from prolonged anesthesia, and nursing assistance are all easier to manage with an overnight stay.

Secondly, the recovery needs for each individual surgical component need to be addressed. Most tummy tuck patients are most comfortable in a seated position, flexing at the waist. If combined with a buttock lift, this can put undo pressure on the buttock lift (particularly if the lift is performed with fat grafting). For patients who undergo a buttock lift, a common postoperative position is to be on their stomach. This can be an issue if a breast augmentation is performed at the same time. Many surgeons will combine the tummy tuck and Brazilian buttock lift, however the addition of a breast augmentation does not make much sense.

You need to feel comfortable with your surgeon. A thorough explanation of the risks and expectations is critical. For such a large operation, I would highly recommend seeking a second or even third opinion. Safety should always come first in elective procedures. If the surgeries need to be staged to improve the safety and your overall satisfaction, that is always less costly than the alternative.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Multiple cosmetic surgery procedures

+1

A tummy tuck can be safely combined with the brazilian butt lift to give a great result. However, combining the butt lift with breast aug is usually not advisable. The breast augmentation, with or without a lift, would have to be done in a second operative session a few months later.

The reason is that during the recovery period for the brazilian butt lift, you'll be spending a lot of time on your stomach and chest which can cause problems with healing or displacing the implants. The tummy tuck easily tolerates this position whereas the breast augmentation does not.

Be sure to discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extesnive experience with multiple procedures.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Combining procedures

+1

If your surgeon has experience doing these procedures in combination, and if you are otherwise healthy, there is no reason not to have all this done at once.  The issues for safety arise when the suregry takes more than about 4-5 hours: laying still under anesthesia for much longer than this increases the risks of blood clots and lung problems.  After tummy tuck and breast aug (especially if the implants are under the muscle) you will be very sore and unable to breathe very deeply, increasing the risk of pneumonia.  For this reason it is very important to practice deep breathing after surgey and to WALK AROUND A LOT.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Multiple procedures in one setting

+1

I agree with you it sounds drastic, but are you concerned about safty or about the length of post op recovery/ pain? there is no doubt that when ever you have multiple procedures safety becomes an issue.  To ensure that safety is optemized , you will need to be prepared for surgery and approriatly cared for after surgery. Your plastic surgeon should be able eo explane all these for and prepare you for the mentioned procedures. Good luck

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Multiple surgeries

+1

Surgery should be decided on by not how fast and how many procedures I can do. PATIENT SAFETY COMES FIRST.

these procedures can be done in the right patient and the right circumstances. Patient safety must evaluate your health, age, weight and other medical conditions.

Multiple procedures carry more risk. Then you need to think of your recovery and how you will take care of yourself and how much support and care you have at home.

Safe to perform 3 procedures at oncehttp://www.drrickrosen.com/mommy-makeover-connecticut-2/

+1

I think that those procedures can be done safely as an outpatient, depending on the facility and set up of the doctor. I will perform these together, performed in the hospital and then send the patient home, once watched in the facility for a good amount of time. safety is important. I also keep all procedures under 6 1/2 hours. this minimizes complication rates.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Patient safety with extended surgical procedures

+1

Surgeons that do fat grafting to the buttock and tummy tucks in tandem are pretty good at making this a fast combination surgery. Personally, I don't do these two procedures in tandem because I don't like fat grafting patients to sit/lie on the buttocks after fat grafting - which is exactly what a lot of tummy tuck patients do post-op. The addition of a breast procedure is pretty common as well. If your surgeon keeps the operative time to less than 6 hours, I think the combination is reasonable. Make sure your surgeon is a member of the ASPS and is board certified in plastic surgery.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS