How Much Does FUE Hair Transplant Cost?

How much does the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method of hair transplant cost?

FUE Hair Transplant Cost

+4
Charging "By the Graft" is a Technique to Distract You; Here are the Facts:
Every day many people call our office with one single question: how much do you charge per graft? To a serious, dedicated hair restoration surgery practice, this is simply an impossible question to answer. This is due to the complexity of a hair restoration procedure, and the inherent variability of the intrinsic physical and physiological factors of each individual patient. While I am very aware that many practices in this field, both corporate and private, charge "by-the-graft," I feel this makes as much sense as charging "by the valve" when performing valve replacement surgery on a patient's heart, or charging "by the cc" when performing a breast enhancement procedure.

Make no mistake: charging hair restoration patients "by-the-graft" is the invention of the business man, not the physician.

For example, when considering a rhinoplasty (e.g.: nose job), a patient will most often interview one or more surgeons to find the one they feel the most comfortable with, as the public recognizes that nasal surgery is difficult and the results are often permanent. Frequently in choosing a surgeon for rhinoplasty, a patient will strongly consider the surgeon's training, experience, and how often the surgeon performs the procedure. After selecting the surgeon and meeting with him or her to discuss their wishes, and after the surgeon assesses the complexity of the proposed nasal surgery, a patient will typically receive a statement with "surgery fees" and "anesthesia/facility fees." Note that plastic surgeons who perform rhinoplasty surgery do NOT charge by the length of nose, they charge by the complexity of surgery. Most patients do not see a billboard saying "Season Special $1,000 per nostril rhinoplasty, minimum 2 nostrils, at Nose Jobs R Us." One simply cannot respond to a billboard ad and feel good about nasal surgery results.

Hair restoration is no different than any other permanent facial plastic surgical procedure, such as rhinoplasty or a facelift. Like a rhinoplasty, the procedure is difficult to perform when done well, and the results are permanent. The results are directly dependent on the skill, training, and experience of the surgeon, and the quality, experience, and talent of the technicians who will work with the hair follicles. I deeply respect hair restoration for what it is: a highly-complex surgical procedure involving not just myself, but my experienced team of full-time surgical technicians that brings unbelievable joy to men and women who suffer from hair loss. It is NOT a "plug-and-play" product that is the same anywhere you go as long as the "graft number" remains constant. This makes as much sense as saying every single automobile in the world is exactly the same provided they all have "4 tires." In hair restoration, there are hundreds of subtleties and nuances that vary from person to person. It is a procedure that brings my patients a great deal of happiness; it restores their confidence, sense of youth and well-being. It is a procedure that simply cannot be boiled down to a "per-the-graft" pricing.

The bottom line is that getting the patient involved in the details of the surgery, and negotiating the number of hairs to be surgically relocated, is really just to distract you from the more important things that some medical practices would rather you not think about, such as the experience, background, and training of the actual surgeon (or non-surgeon, or even non-physician, as is very often the case) who will be doing your hair restoration surgery.  In many States, including Georgia, the physician need only sign the papers on he case; his or her presence is not even required in the room at all.  There are so many hair restoration surgery clinics having non-medically trained people perform surgery that the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery issued a formal CONSUMER ALERT, which can be read in the link below.

Dr. Pramit Malhotra of Ann Arbor, Michigan warns "Rhinoplasty is a procedure not to pick on price." I strongly feel the same way about hair restoration; a permanent procedure that can be done in hundreds of different ways, by physicians and surgeons of widely varying backgrounds, from internal medicine to dermatology to anesthesiology. Remember that all types of physicians, even those without any ABMS-recognized board certificate or formal surgery training at all, may call themselves hair restoration "surgeons" in the USA.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

FUE graft cost

+3

It depends on the part of the country.  I have seen $3-$6 per graft.  What really matters is experience.  You want a place that is busy and has experience.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Cost of FUE

+2

The cost can vary but we tend to charge between 6-8$ per FUE and between 3-4 for strip grafts. I think patients should focus on the talent and experience of the surgeon more than the cost as the results are dependent on the doctors experience.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

How much does FUE hair transplant cost?

+1
FUE ranges in price from 2.50 to $ 11.00 (per graft) in North America.

The most important thing for patients to look for is not the price, but quality of work that the hair transplant surgeon and his or her team does. It sometimes costs quite a bit to fix and repair a poorly done transplant.

Look hard for a fair price, but look harder for quality work.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologist

Cost of FUE

+1

Consider non surgical methods such as Rogaine for now. There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Re: Cost of FUE Hair Transplant Procedure

+1

The total cost of a Follicular Unit Extraction procedure will depend on the number of grafts you will need. Typically, prices range from $5-$12.

However when you gather information about cost from various service providers, make sure you understand what is included. Ask about the cost of :  medication (after procedure) consultation fees, anesthesia and follow up visits. Find out if these are included in the price per graft, or if they constitute additional fees.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Howmuchdoesfuehair

+1

It depends on how many grafts are transplanted. The more grafts (3000 max in a day) the lower the cost.

Graft prices range from $4.00 to $7.00 per graft.  Eyebrow transplantation is  $3000.00.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Cost and Price for FUE Hair Transplantation

+1

The cost of FUE hair transplantation is between $6-8 per graft compared to $4 per graft using the FUT or strip method. Both procedures have pros and cons. Look for a well qualified surgeon with experience. I like to offer a personalized approach to hair transplantation were I am involved in every step of your experience, including the consultation, procedure, and postoperative care.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Cost of FUE Transplant

+1

Any type of hair transplant totally depends on the number of hair transplants being performed.  Typically less grafts can be transplanted using the FUE method at any single session.

Jack Fisher, MD

Cost of FUE

+1

any where from 5-12 dollars per graft.  I like the FUE approach for cost effectiveness since we harvest naturally occurring follicles.  Example- 4 hair follicle = 1 graft vs splitting a 4 hair follicle with strip method into 4 grafts.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist