What to Expect 6 Months After Hair Transplant?

I had a hair transplant of 2600 grafts (FUE method) Nov/08. New hair started to grow around the 3rd month (Feb). I'm now almost at the 6th month(May) after surgery, but I'm not satisfied with the results.
While new hair has grown in the frontal area of my head, in the vertex area there has been no visible growth. The new hair in the frontal area (thick, slightly curly, and dark)does not provide good coverage and there are certain frontal areas with hardly any hair. What can I expect from this point on (6 month mark)?

+2

I am very sorry you are unhappy with your result.

Without seeing you in person it is very hard for me to have an opinion on whether your results were normal or abnormal.

As far as additional growth goes, our patients can expect growth all the way to 12 months in some cases. However, by month 9 all the hairs are typically showing, but have to play catch up with the hair that broke through from month 3 and 4. 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant growth Takes 12 to 18 Months

+2

Grafts grow at varying rates and depends on what stage of the hair cycle they are in. Some patients I have experience tremendous growth at 3 months. Some I have to wait until a year that goes by before I see anything. Most start having appreciable changes starting at 6 months and continue to improve toward a year with slight improvements further to 18 months.

A few patients paradoxically dip at 12 months. A few dip early at 3 or 6 months. In other words there is variability. Also, most hairs on the head are asynchronous, i.e., they are in all various stages at a given time. However, after a transplant they can remain synchronous up to 18 months to 2 years making it harder for hair to grow uniformly and well.

In general, try to be patient for a year to see how things are going before you give up. You should always talk with your surgeon to get his/her opinion and elicit communication. Finally, taking sequential photographs which I do for my patients may be helpful to track progress.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Growth After 6 Months

+1
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear that your FUE hair transplant didn't give you the results you wanted, but, 6 months is still too soon to evaluate your final results. It might seem like a long time, but hair growth is a cyclical process that requires patience. Your final results may take more than a year to fully develop.

If you're very concerned by your preliminary results, visit your hair transplant surgeon for a follow-up evaluation. He or she can better determine whether your results necessitate further treatment. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

6 months after FUE

+1
New grafts can grow at different rates within the same area (frontal scalp) or in different areas (front vs. vertex). Initial hair growth is often fine but as the hair matures it will often thicken and change texture.   Though 6 months may seem like an eternity already, with respect to new hair growth, it's not.  Try to be patient.  If you have concerns, absolutely follow up with the surgeon that performed your procedure. Without knowing what you looked like before the procedure, it is really impossible to say if 2600 grafts is sufficient to give you the coverage you desire in those areas.  For some, that is completely sufficient but for others that may be only a fraction of what they would ultimately require for adequate coverage.  Good luck

Grant Stevens, MD

Result in 6 Month after your hair transplantation

+1

Its still early to comment over a hair transplant case on its sixt month after the surgery but % 30-40 result should already be seen in a standart case.Do not worry and be patient for a full year.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

6 Months Post Hair Transplant

+1

Hair transplantation, despite method, requires patience.  6 months may seem like a long time, but you truly need to give your end results a full year before you evaluate success.  Some of the grafts can remain dormant longer than others.  Hang in there, 2600 grafts should yield a very nice result and good coverage.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Expected Yield with FUE Hair Transplant

+1

Every case is different. Three and a half to four months is typically when FUE begins to yield new growth. Being at only 6 months, your grafts are still relatively young--it is not time yet to panic. Most patients see the lot of their hair come in by 12 months post-surgery. And new hair will continue to fill out and mature for up to 18 months.

Word to the wise, since the grafts are extracted individually with FUE, careful selection of surgeon is paramount. An advanced FUE surgeon will know how to maintain the integrity of his extractions so that they make for healthy transplants.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

What to expect within the first six months of Hair Transplant

+1

At six months you should see most of the hair growing and certainly by eight months.  If there's not much growth the orginal grafts may have not had healthy follicles. 

Jack Fisher, MD

What to expect 6 months after a hair transplant?

+1

Each patient is unique, but most patients have most of the hair growth by the first year. At 6 months we traditionally have between 60 and 70 percent of the transplanted hairs growing. When using the FUE, follicular unit extraction technique, I have noticed that many of the grafts (30-50%) stay and continue to grow immediately after transplantation. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Expectations

+1

Some areas can take a little longer to grow out, however it sounds like not all your FUE grafts were viable. It also sounds like either you did not have enough grafts placed initially or the pattern was poorly designed. At six months the pattern you see is probably the result you will have. Hair growth (lenght) will continue but the likelihood of new hair sprouting up from bald areas is becoming more and more...... unlikely. At this point there is nothing to do but come in for a consultation and see what repair work we can do for you hopefully at an affordable price.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon