What is the Best Way to Prepare for a Mommy Makeover?

What is the best way to prepare my body for a mommy makeover , to speed recovery time and optimize my results? Only 4 weeks till surgery date!

Preparing for Mommy Makeover Surgery -- Nutrition is the Most-Often Overlooked Factor

+8

In my Denver practice, Mommy Makeover surgery is a favorite and it's probably the most common "combination" procedure we do (to me, a Mommy Makeover usually refers to a combination of Tummy Tuck and Breast Implant and/or Breast Lift surgery).

I agree with much of what has already been said in answer to your question. It is my feeling that the most commonly overlooked part of preparing for Mommy Makeover surgery is Nutrition.

Below are some of my "no brainer" Nutrition tips for Plastic Surgery, and in particular for combined procedures and for body contouring surgery -- surgeries that place large demands on your body for wound healing. In healthy adults, there is very little downside to supplementing as noted below for 1-2 months both before and after your surgery:

1. Iron Supplementation. Dietary Iron is found in red meat and in leafy vegetables. Most women will benefit from Iron to help bolster their body's Iron stores, and a minority of patients are getting enough iron (even those who eat a very "healthy" diets.
  2. Multivitamin Supplementation (including Vitamin A and Vitamin C). A multivitamin with Iron is a simple way to meet Iron and many vitamin and micro-nutrient needs that are very difficult to get enough of in our diets.
  3. Vitamin B12 Supplementation. B12 deficiency, or at least sub-optimal B12 levels are common. A sub-lingual tablet is a simple way to supplement.
  4. Protein Supplementation. I recommend 0.5 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. This is a lot of protein and generally this requires adding a protein shake or similar supplement to your diet.
  5. Don't lose weight in the month before surgery. Yes, you read this right -- our bodies cannot "go two directions at one time," so it is important to maintain your weight (or even gain a few pounds as may happen with the protein supplementation I've suggested).

Lab screening can be done to check for abnormalities. Lab values in the lower range of normal are, for larger plastic surgery procedures, too low for optimum healing. Yes, normal is not good enough! We want you to be in the high normal range.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Web reference: http://www.coloradoplasticsurgery.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

+5

Regarding: "What is the Best Way to Prepare for a Mommy Makeover?
What is the best way to prepare my body for a mommy makeover , to speed recovery time and optimize my results? Only 4 weeks till surgery date
!"

1. Make sure you have read and understand ALL of your surgeon's post-op instructions

2. Line up RELIABLE, in house care for 3-4 continuous days

3. Make sure your caretaker has read and fully understands all of your surgeon's instructions

4. Fill all of your Doctor's prescriptions. It is much better having them before surgery than having to look for them after surgery

5. Back a Gym bag with the stuff you'll wear and need to go with on the morning of surgery. Having to pack just before leaving is stressful and you forget things. Make sure you pack the underwear you want to wear from now on. The doctor will use it to hide the scar within its confines.

6. STOP SMOKING or using all forms of Nicotine

7. Stop taking all medicines which make you bleed longer such as Aspirin, Advil, Alleve, Garlic, etc. Every surgeon has a list. Make sure you read your surgeon's list of things not to take or eat.

8. Prepare your nest for the first few days after surgery. Get DVD's you may want to watch, books to read, a Laz Boy chair to sleep in the first 2-3 nights, and favorite non carbonated drinks.

9. Consider keeping a diary where you write and document this transformation. Start with copies of your before pictures. Add daily pictures after surgery and you will see the transformation.

10. Starting the first night after surgery walk around the room every 15 minutes or so (commercial time) to lower the risk of blood clots

11. Remember your bed is for sleeping. Do NOT use the bed "to rest" the more time you spend in bed the higher the risk of blood clots and pneumonia. Walking, deep breathing and eating and hydrating properly ARE the secret to rapid recovery

I'm sure there are other things but this should cover most.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

What you can do before your Mommy Makeover to pave the way.

+4

We have patients who work out like a fiend, get unnaturally thin before surgery as if that makes our job easier.  Other pig out, as if to say "Oh well, they can just suck it out!"  The correct behavior is to be well nourished, at your usual weight and don't make any large changes.  Be who you are so we can work from there.  That way, you will love the way you look when our work is done.

Mommy Makeover Preparation: Diet, exercise and help at home

+4

A Mommy Makeover is a term used for a combination breast enhancement and abdominal contouring operation to reverse the lasting effects of pregnancy. To optimize your recovery, I would pre-oepratively continue your diet and exercise regimen and be sure you supplement with a multi vitamin and at least 20 to 30 grams of extra protein daily. The main challenge is to find enough help at home for your young family during your post-opertaive period. This will definitely help ease your recovery and not place any added stress at home while you are healing. This is the main factor which will enable a smooth recovery from this combination procedure.

Dr. Trussler 

Mommy Makeover Preparation

+3

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Preparation for mommy makeover

+3

I would do the followings to prepare for your procedure. 1) Keep on healthy diet and take multi-vitamins, 2) Continue with regular exercise to keep your body healthy; however, try not to lose more weight at this time. You want a stable weight, 3) No smoking, 4) No aspirin 7 days prior to your surgery, 5) Check with your plastic surgeon to find out which medications she/he wants you to avoid. Best wishes to you.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/mommy-makeover/

Mommy makeover preparation

+3

A mommy makeover typically includes abdominoplasty and a breast enhancement procedure. There are certain steps that can improve your results:

• Preoperative workup including labs and ekg depending on your age
  • Be at or as close to your optimal body weight
  • Good nutrition, no dieting close to the procedure
  • Do not take aspirin or other anti-inflammatories two weeks prior to the procedure
  • Take a multivitamin
  • I recommend taking oral arnica montana starting at least two weeks prior to surgery and through recovery to reduce swelling and bruising and improve healing.

I hope the information helped. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for mommy makeover

+2

Your plastic surgeon may have his own specific instructions.  I always remind my patients to stay well hydrated, to keep moving in terms of maintaing appropriate blood flow through their legs, and refrain from vigorous activity.

Four weeks should be sufficient time.  Make sure you wear your abdominal binder diligently.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Preparing for mommy makeover.

+2

Hi.

1)  Unfortunately,  there is almost no science to back up most claims for pre-operative preparation.

2)  This is what we know: avoid smoking and aspirin and other anti-inflammatories, shower for three days before surgery with a bactericidal soap, and have a lot of confidence in your surgeon.

Preparing for surgery goes according to your plastic surgeon

+2

Every plastic surgeon is different, so make sure you follow the guidelines provided to you by your plastic surgeon.  Make sure you don't eat or drink anything after midnight the day of the procedure!  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com