Scared of Going Under General Anesthesia for 5 1/2 for Mommy Makeover???

I am 25 years old 5'4 i weight 115 pounds and have no history of medical problems. but Im so scared of being under general anesthesia, what is percentage of people who under go anesthesia for this long and their outcome? thanks

Anesthesia with Mommy Makeover

I would recommend that you undergo a thorough preoperative workup and clearance by your primary care doctor.   If you are cleared and without risk factors, you should feel very safe having general anesthesia for 5 hours.    This is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures performed.   I would recommend an overnight stay at an accredited surgery center or hospital to ensure your overall safety.   I wish you a safe and happy result.

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

General anesthesia safe for mommy makeover

Your concern is a common one; many people are more afraid of the anesthesia than the surgery! If your procedure is going to be done in an accredited surgical facility, then general anesthesia will be safe  and a good choice for the length of the operation. Accreditation means that everything is in place to deal with any emergency that could occur. By far the riskest thing about your surgery day will be the drive to the facility.

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

When Patients are in Good Health & Have No Major Risk Factors, a 5 1/2 Hour Anesthesia is Not Unusual

Anxiety regarding anesthesia is an extremely common phenomena. In our experience people are often more concerned about anesthesia than their actual surgical procedure. The science of anesthesia has made significant advances in the past twenty years. In the past inhalation agents were often associated with slow recoveries and significant post-operative nausea. Current anesthetic agents are associated with quicker recoveries and less post-operative nausea.

When patients are in good health and have no major risk factors, a five hour anesthesia is not unusual and is relatively safe. It’s important to realize that the mommy makeover is an extensive procedure that combines cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty. By its very nature, the mommy makeover will require a longer period of anesthesia.

If you’re strongly considering a mommy makeover procedure then everything should be done pre-operatively to remove your anxiety. This starts with a comprehensive pre-operative medical evaluation to ensure that you’re in good health and a good surgical risk.

People fear the unknown, so make sure your well educated on this topic. Make sure you spend time with your surgeon and anesthesiologist and get your questions answered. This will do more than anything else to alleviate your anxiety.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

For a 115 lb. person, a 5hr. and 30 minute mommy makeover seems like a long time.

If the abdomen and breasts are to be dealth with in a slight person (115lbs.), I would suggest that your surgeon is very deliberate in execution of the operations.  If liposuction is part of the repair, you wouldn't need much of it, seems to me.  Nevertheless, if it takes 5 and a half hours to get the best result, that lengh of surgery is safe.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Very safe

If you've had your lab work done and consulted with your surgeon and anesthetist who have both cleared you for the surgery, then general anesthesia is very safe. I haven't had any problems dealing with patients under GA. It is important, however, that you follow your surgeon's pre and post op instructions to prepare your body for the surgery. Make sure to not eat or drink anything in the recommended timeframe before your surgery, and to follow all instructions. Your surgeon will hopefully be taking all precautions to minimize risk during that period of time.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

1243 Islington Ave
Toronto, Ontario M8X 1Y9

Anesthesia Used During a Mommy Makeover- An MD Anesthesiologist can be by your bedside at all times thoughout surgery

General anesthesia is onbe option, MACS anesthesia, where u are breathing on your own in yest another option. In my facility, A board certified anesthesiologist with remain at the bedside throughout  the duration of surgery. Ask if this will be the case in the PR where yout surgery will be administered. This could helo give yiu peace of mind,  My surgery suite is accredited by the Joint Commission and the AAAASF. As k about cerfications and about anesthesia care, This video will help to gove you  ore questions to ask that will give you peace of mind.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Anesthesia time

Make sure you are going to an accredited surgery center with a board certified anesthesiologist. If that is the case, 5 1/2 hours of anesthesia is safe for you. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

You are not alone with your feelings of anxiety about anesthesia. However 3-5 hopurs or more of anesthesia is not a long time and all of my patients walk home shortly after the surgery is finished. I can also arrange for home nursing care or stay at a facility if you wish 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

If a person is healthy then a combination procedure lasting 5 – 7 hours is safe and should not have any side effects. Safe monitoring during the procedure and one night stay is standard on our patients to endure their safety.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

455 East Airport drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

General Anesthesia

Some anxiety prior to surgery is to be expected.  Assuming that you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon and board certified Anesthesiologist in a fully accredited surgery center, your risks are low - I am also assuming you have good medical health.
It may give you peace of mind if you speak to other patients who have had similar procedures performed.
Thank you!

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942