Scared of Going Under General Anesthesia for 5 1/2 for Mommy Makeover???

I am 25 years old 5'4 i weight 115 pounds and have no history of medical problems. but Im so scared of being under general anesthesia, what is percentage of people who under go anesthesia for this long and their outcome? thanks

General anesthesia safe for mommy makeover

+3

Your concern is a common one; many people are more afraid of the anesthesia than the surgery! If your procedure is going to be done in an accredited surgical facility, then general anesthesia will be safe  and a good choice for the length of the operation. Accreditation means that everything is in place to deal with any emergency that could occur. By far the riskest thing about your surgery day will be the drive to the facility.

Anesthesia with Mommy Makeover

+2

I would recommend that you undergo a thorough preoperative workup and clearance by your primary care doctor.   If you are cleared and without risk factors, you should feel very safe having general anesthesia for 5 hours.    This is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures performed.   I would recommend an overnight stay at an accredited surgery center or hospital to ensure your overall safety.   I wish you a safe and happy result.

Paul S. Gill, MD

For a 115 lb. person, a 5hr. and 30 minute mommy makeover seems like a long time.

+2

If the abdomen and breasts are to be dealth with in a slight person (115lbs.), I would suggest that your surgeon is very deliberate in execution of the operations.  If liposuction is part of the repair, you wouldn't need much of it, seems to me.  Nevertheless, if it takes 5 and a half hours to get the best result, that lengh of surgery is safe.

Anesthesia Used During a Mommy Makeover- An MD Anesthesiologist can be by your bedside at all times thoughout surgery

+1
General anesthesia is onbe option, MACS anesthesia, where u are breathing on your own in yest another option. In my facility, A board certified anesthesiologist with remain at the bedside throughout  the duration of surgery. Ask if this will be the case in the PR where yout surgery will be administered. This could helo give yiu peace of mind,  My surgery suite is accredited by the Joint Commission and the AAAASF. As k about cerfications and about anesthesia care, This video will help to gove you  ore questions to ask that will give you peace of mind.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia time

+1
Make sure you are going to an accredited surgery center with a board certified anesthesiologist. If that is the case, 5 1/2 hours of anesthesia is safe for you. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

When Patients are in Good Health & Have No Major Risk Factors, a 5 1/2 Hour Anesthesia is Not Unusual

+1

Anxiety regarding anesthesia is an extremely common phenomena. In our experience people are often more concerned about anesthesia than their actual surgical procedure. The science of anesthesia has made significant advances in the past twenty years. In the past inhalation agents were often associated with slow recoveries and significant post-operative nausea. Current anesthetic agents are associated with quicker recoveries and less post-operative nausea.

When patients are in good health and have no major risk factors, a five hour anesthesia is not unusual and is relatively safe. It’s important to realize that the mommy makeover is an extensive procedure that combines cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction and abdominoplasty. By its very nature, the mommy makeover will require a longer period of anesthesia.

If you’re strongly considering a mommy makeover procedure then everything should be done pre-operatively to remove your anxiety. This starts with a comprehensive pre-operative medical evaluation to ensure that you’re in good health and a good surgical risk.

People fear the unknown, so make sure your well educated on this topic. Make sure you spend time with your surgeon and anesthesiologist and get your questions answered. This will do more than anything else to alleviate your anxiety.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anaesthesia

+1

You are not alone with your feelings of anxiety about anesthesia. However 3-5 hopurs or more of anesthesia is not a long time and all of my patients walk home shortly after the surgery is finished. I can also arrange for home nursing care or stay at a facility if you wish 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

+1

If a person is healthy then a combination procedure lasting 5 – 7 hours is safe and should not have any side effects. Safe monitoring during the procedure and one night stay is standard on our patients to endure their safety.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia

+1
Some anxiety prior to surgery is to be expected.  Assuming that you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon and board certified Anesthesiologist in a fully accredited surgery center, your risks are low - I am also assuming you have good medical health.
It may give you peace of mind if you speak to other patients who have had similar procedures performed.
Thank you!

Time under general anesthesia

+1

If you are having a mommy makeover with tummy tuck and breast aug/breast lift a 5 hour general anesthesia time is reasonable.  I have not experienced any problems with any of the mommy makeover procedures I have performed with comparable anesthesia times.  Yes, it is unnerving to loose control but a good anesthesiologist and a good plastic surgeon will make the process very safe for you.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD