Mitral Valve Prolapse - Safe to Have a Mommy Makeover?

The sugery is suppose to last 7 hourse and 45 minutes. I am having a tummy tuck,lift,implants,smart lipo on arms,chin,back ,hip and thighs. I have never been under and am extremly scared. Is this to much or to long? Any tips or recommedations will help.Thanks in advance.

Mommy Makeover Safety?

+1

Mitral valve prolapse is very common and usually not an issue,  especially once you've had it worked up by your internist/cardiologist.

I would not suggest elective surgery that lasts almost 8 hours for a number of reasons related to safety and surgical outcome.

Is Mommy makeover surgery safe in mitral valve prolapse patients?

+1

Yes, mommy makeover surgery can be safely performed in patients with mitral valve prolapse.  

However, it depends on the function of the mitral valve.  Most mitral valve prolapse causes very little regurgitation, or back flow.  

This type of mitral valve prolapse is common and is detected as a heart murmur which can be better evaluated by a simple ultrasound study performed in a cardiologist office.

Treatment with prophylactic antibiotics is usually all that is required for safe performance of mommy makeover surgery in most  cases  of mitral valve prolapse.

For more severe cases your may require medical therapy to optimize you heart function, and you may or may not qualify for elective cosmetic surgery.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Mitral Valve Prolapse - Safe to Have a Mommy Makeover

+1

Mitral valve prolapse is usually not a contraindication to having srgery or multiple procedures performed. I would recommend a medical clearance from your Cardiologist or Internist and perioperative antibiotics.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mitral valve prolapse

+1

A mitral valve prolapse does not mean you heart is in bad condition.  Sometimes the valve has a small leak with little to no decrease in your heart's function.  I would check with you primary care doctor to ask how significant your valve prolapse is.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Any cosmetic surgery procedure requires preoperative clearance beforehand

+1

Thank you for your question.  With mitral valve prolapse, you'll need clearance from your internist or cardiologist before any surgical procedures.  After you get this clearance, make sure your anesthesiologist knows what is going on as well to prevent any sudden cancellations before your surgery.  However, once you get the "green light" from your surgery you should be just fine.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Longer procedures do have higher risks

+1

the "safe" length of a surgery is truly subjective.  i think most surgeons would agree that 10 to 12 hours is too long.  is 8 hours too long?  for me it is.  i like to keep my elective operations under about 6 hours.  this is for a few reasons.  the longer the surgery, the higher the risk of dvt (blood clots in the legs that can potentially cause severe respiratory issues and can be fatal).  also, recovery from anesthesia can take longer and there can be more problems with nausea. finally, we are like anyone else and we tire.  it is hard for me to concentrate for more than six hours without fatiguing.  no breaks for food or bathroom and i simply get tired.

Eric Chang, MD

Risks from Mommy Makeover surgery

+1

Any pre-existing medical condition, such as mitral valve prolapse, should be investigated prior to your surgery and you should obtain medical clearance from your internist and cardiologist. There is no absolute cut off in terms of time of surgery but in general very long surgeries predispose to higher risk of complications.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

It should not be a problem

+1

I have performed several "mommy makeovers" I patients with underlying medical problems. Mitral valve prolapse is quite common. Since you know that you have MVP, you've probably seen a cardiologist or your internist is following you for it. In these situations my office will contact your doctor to let them know we're planning to do and follow his recommendations prior to surgery.it should not complicate your surgery or recovery. Good luck

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Medical clearance for surgery, and how much is too much?

+1

You have essentially 2 separate questions. The question regarding your mitral valve prolapse depends upon the severity of your disorder. A full clearance by your internist and your cardiologist is imperative. This may require an EKG and/or an echo-cardiogram. The second question is whether you are having too much surgery. For a mommy makeover (breast surgery + abdominal surgery), the operation is usually between 4 and 6 hours. This is a lot of surgery. Adding on additional procedures depends upon the impact of each postoperative course. For instance, Botox or a filler in combination is easy because the recovery is minimal. However, having liposuction of your arms at the same time as a large operation on your abdomen doesn't make sense to me. In your recovery from your abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), you are going to need to use your arms a good deal to get up from a seated position, push up out of bed, etc. Having sore arms from liposuction will definitely hinder this. Combining all operations into one surgery may sound attractive, but the recovery may not be worth it. I would have a frank discussion with your surgeon and see whether staging these procedures is not a smarter plan.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mitral Valve Prolapse and Mommy Makoever Surgery

+1

Dear HoustonTX4856:

You ask an excellent question.   You will be undergoing a very long elective procedure.  Given your Mitral Valve Prolapse history, I would recommend cardiology/internal medicine evaluation (clearance) before surgery.  In addition, I would also order special preoperative antibiotics to prevent any valve related infection (called MVP prophylaxis).   If I had the opportunity to review your entire medical history, I would consider this in developing your operative plan.  It may guide me to reduce your operative procedure length.  In addition, I would likely recommend an overnight stay after a longer procedure.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS