Preferred Nose Shape for Asian Men?

I am from Far East Asia, and not surprisingly, my nose-shape is quite flat (the stereotypical shape). My question is two parted, first: are there general enhancements in it's shape? Also ones that don't require surgery? Second: does the "preferred" shape differ from Caucasian men, due to balance with other facial features? Thank you for your consideration!

Asian noses tend to be a little flatter and wider

+2

My favorite aspect of rhinoplasty is the fact there are so many different noses and so many different possible outcomes that can look good. It is true that there are certain features of a nose that characterize a specific ethnic background. In general Asian people have slightly thicker skin, a lower bridge and a wider nasal base than some other ethnicities (especially compared to Caucasian individuals). However, even within Asian groups, there can be quite a wide range of shapes and sizes.

So overall, in general Asians tend to look more natural when the nose is not too high (bridge not projecting too far from the face), when the tip is not too narrow, and when the base is not too narrow. Overall, this softer look is more fitting for most Asian patients. But to really narrow the aesthetic goal and consultation, preferably with the use of computer imaging would be helpful.

Web reference: http://dwkimmd.com/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The ideal Asian nose shape

+2

In general the Asian people that I have done rhinoplasty for have low bridges and poorly projected nose which causes poor tip definition. The most common procedures performed for these problems are to raise the bridge, project (to refine) the tip and narrow the nostrils.

I have used hundreds of silicone implants for elevating the bridge and have never seen an infection. The silicone implants give the ABSOULTE BEST shape to the bridge that cartilage just can't replicate. These procedures have a very high sucess rate and are very safe.

Asian Noses

+1

While there are recurrent  characteristics of the "typical" Asian nose such as increased width and inadequate projection, all noses are different regardless of ethnicity. The "preferred shape" is a nose that is in proportion to surrounding facial structures. We prefer to use the patient's own tissue, rather than synthetic materials to to avoid post-operative movement and possible extrusion. 

Nasal shapes

+1

Nasal shapes will vary amongst different ethnicities. Some doctors are injecting fillers to the nose to improve shape, but I would not recommend that as a long term option. I think the goal is to improve the shape based upon your concerns but still maintain your ethnic identity.

Preferred Asian rhinoplasty should retain some ethnic characteristic

+1

There is no one Asian rhinoplasty and it is best to adopt changes which enhance overall facial characteristics. Often the goals are to raise the bridge of the nose, and to improve the projection and add some defining shape to the tip. We feel the best way is with graft material borrowed from within the nose to provide the support and shape required. There are many differences in facial shape and aesthetics and the goal is not to create a caucasion nose on an Asian face. This goes against the grain of multiracial beauty we all enjoy in the world today. It may be helpful to work with computer simulation to 'try out' changes and see how they impact and enhance your unique freatures. Many practices use them.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

The Asian Male rhinoplasty (nose job) and aesthetic goals

+1

The ideal appearance is somewhat limited by the anatomical considerations. In Asians this commonly relates to particularly thick sebaceous skin of the tip with poorly supported lower lateral cartilages, a realtively small septum, and low nasal bridge. The most common procedure relates to restoring height to the bridge to effect a dominant appearance. This is freqeuntly accomplished with an implant in Asian countries. Generally the tip is left alone for males with an occasional procedure performed to enhance projection. Asian women generally prefer a more refined and smaller tip. Women more than men end to seek nostril reduction

Common goals of Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Often times Asian patients seek a higher nose bridge, which is accomplished with dorsal augmentation with a silastic nasal implant. Another request is greater nasal tip projection and refinement of a bulbous tip. Solutions to these concerns are all surgical and should be performed by an experienced board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Results from your rhinoplasty should be a nose that is in balance with the rest of your facial features and looks natural of your ethnicity.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

The ideal nose depends on you

+1

Your ideal shape will depend very much on you, your particular facial features, and your desired aesthetic. While East Asians do tend to share some features, everyone is different and their is a wide degree of variability. We have some East Asian patients who have asked for a high bridge and relatively sharp tip definition while others may want their own nose,just slightly higher and with some more refinement. The procedure really needs to be tailored to your goals which can be explored in more detail during an imaging consultation.

A non-surgical nose job is an option. This uses fillers like Restylane or Juvederm to increase your bridge height some though it may not provide as much height or definition as a surgical procedure. This provides a temporary solution that may be repeated if desired and is a good option for candidates who have clear expectations and do not have the time, investment, or desire to undergo surgery. If you explore this route, I would suggest talking to a highly experienced injector such as our colleague Alexander Rivkin, MD, who has the largest non-surgical nose job practice that I know of. Good luck.

Rhinoplasty shaping for Asian men.

+1

The most common rhinoplasty elements I do is raising the low bridge and augmenting the tip os the nose for more projection. I do this with the patient's cartilage from the septum. I don't use silicone implants in the nose because of the possibility of infection.

Ethnic noses can be improved but still need to retain their ethnic charcter

+1

In your inquiry you describe what you call a "typical" Asian nose. There is significant variability in Asian noses from different countries and even regions within one country. What is most commonly performed is augmentation of the bridge of the nose and strengthening and shaping of the tip of the nose with cartilage grafts. It is important to maintain a nose that looks natural on your face and not strive to create a "Caucasian" nose.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_rhinoplasty.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.