Long-term Nose Bleeds Many Years After Rhinoplasty

I've had 2 rhinoplasty surgeries. First one healed and the cartilage was pronounced on the tip and looked "done" and my nose bled and scabbed. 2nd revision a few years after the first made my nose look natural but I still have a scab that bleeds. I've tried saline sprays, neti pots and Polysporin in the nostril. It's been about 8 years and my nostril scab won't heal and i still bleed, every day. I've seen an ENT years ago and he said it's probably my airway is so large that it dries out and never heals. Any suggestions?

Bleeding After Rhinoplasty Needs Evaluation

+2

There are numerous potentially treatable causes of persistent scabbing after Rhinoplasty, like a foreign body (e.g. a stitch), a bone or cartilage fragment, infected cartilage or bone, a septal perforation, or even dryness and picking fingers.

Most importantly, you should seek evaluation and treatment to resolution.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Long-term bleeding after rhinoplasty: You need a thorough evaluation.

+2

You need a thorough evaluation.

Here's some possible causes:

1) Autoimmune or vascular disorder:

Crusting/bleeding that is resistant to treatment may indicate conditions that fall under the heading of autoimmune or vasculitis. These conditions generally require a biopsy for diagnosis. It's better to find out sooner than later because they can cause problems in other parts of the body.

2) Septal perforation:

This is a hole in the mucous membrane that divides the two nasal passages. Unfortunately the most common cause is previous nasal surgery. The hole causes turbulence in nasal airflow which leads to excessive drying, followed by ulceration/bleeding/crusting.

3) Empty nose syndrome:

This is another condition that unfortunately is most common after previous surgery. Here, too much nasal tissue has been removed and this causes the airway to be too big. This also causes turbulence and the same effects outlined with septal perforations.

Fortunately, there may be medical or surgical solutions for these problems. Visit with a facial plastic surgeon or ENT for a thourough evaluation.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nosebleeds have many causes

+2

The potential problems that can lead to recurrent nosebleeds (epistaxis) are numerous.  Common conditions include dryness, septal deviations, local irritation.  This problem may not be related to the previous surgery.  A competent Otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon should evaluate your problem, and give you some advice.

Web reference: http://www.purefacialaesthetics.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty-5438

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saline gel for nose bleeds.

+1

First, have a qualified otolaryngologist or plastic surgeon well versed in septoplasty and rhinoplasty evaluate your history and examine your nose. Nose bleeds often respond to saline nasal gel, over-the-counter salt-water-based gels for the nose. Use every night on both sides for at least two weeks. You can also use saline nasal spray 2-4 times a day. No picking. Have the doctor scope the inside of the nose (easy to do in the office) to look for a septal perforation or other issues. Hope this helps.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Causes of Nosebleeds After Rhinoplasy

+1

There are many potential etiologies of nose bleeds after Rhinoplasty.  Careful history and examination are the key to accurate diagnosis.  Some of the most prevalent causes include septal perforations (holes in the nasal septum) and thinning of the nasal lining.  Septal perforations require surgery to close the hole which prevents further crusting and bleeds.  Thinned nasal lining, secondary to multiple nasal surgeries, can dry out causing cracking and bleeding.  Moisture can be added to the lining in the form of saline gels and ointments.  Sometimes prominent blood vessels within the lining will require cauterization.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chronioc bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

There are so many potential causes for nasal bleeding years after rhinoplasty including thinned nasal lining, dry environments, retained permaneent sutures, small septal perforations, to name a few.  A thorough exam is important.

Frequent nose bleeds

+1

There are several potential reasons for why you may be bleeding. This can be an extensive evaluation and may even involve treatment of high blood pressure. Occasionally, it can be easily treated with cauterization and other times it may require ligation of vessels. I think its time you should be evaluated again to search for treatable causes.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/facial-surgery-chicago/nose-reshaping/

Chronic nosebleeds after rhinoplasty

+1

Nosebleeds years after rhinoplasty probably are due to a thinned, atrophic nasal lining that cracks and bleeds.  If moisturizing doesn't work, then you may consider surgery to control the bleeding either through cautery (I prefer bipolar cautery for this) or by replacing the thinned lining with more lining.  This can be done by a skilled experienced surgeon with knowledge of septal perforation repair. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chronic scabbing and bleeding after Rhinoplasty

+1

If this problem only appeared after you had nasal surgery then a thorough nasal exam should reveal the problem. Is the crusting and bleeding always located in the same spot - then look for retained permanent suture or partially exposed cartilage. Is it on the turbinate or the septum? Then look for prominences that dry out and lead to crusting and bleeding. Is it you? Sometimes chronic manipulation and trauma to the internal nose can cause the same symptoms. Bottom line - find an experienced nasal surgeon who can spend the time to make a diagnosis.

Bleeding following rhinoplasty

+1

Every time surgery is performed on the nose (whether primary or secondary) your normal tissue may be replaced by scar tissue.  Nasal blood vessels may be very close to the mucosal surface causing bleeding.  Additionally, if you underwent a turbinate resection, this impairs your nasal ability to humidify air upon inspiration.  This may cause mucosal bleeding and scabbing.  I would first return to your rhinoplasty surgeon.  He/she may be able to advise how to improve this outcome.