Possible to Have Loose Cartilage or Bone in Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty 3 months ago, & in the mean time have had bad a runny nose. I blew my nose today & a piece of bone or cartilage came out w/ some blood as well... is this normal?

Loose Cartilage 3 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

O.K. Your surgeon should be able to manage this easily. An intranasal exam will readily demonstrate what has been going on. There's a good chance the cartilage was exposed slightly after the surgery and creating some irritation in that area - leading to the drainage. Although that's the likely cause there are other possibilities that your surgeon can check for. Best of luck Dr Harrell

Persistent nasal drainage and spontaneous nasal extrusion

+1

As the others have mentioned, this is a cause for concern. Cartilage is generally incorporated within a few weeks after surgery. Perhaps what you are describing is an implant or nasal stent. Regardless, you should discuss this with you surgeon.

Runny Nose After Rhinoplasty and Piece of Bone or Cartilage in the Kleenex

+1

Hi Ally,

See your surgeon asap and bring the piece that came out of your nose. It is not normal to have a runny nose for weeks following rhinoplasty. Have your surgeon check the fluid coming out of your nose. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Normal healing after rhinoplasty

+1

You should not have cartilage or bone coming out of your nose after rhinoplasty. You should go back to see your surgeon asap. Best of luck!

Loose cartilage or bone after rhinoplasty

+1

Without being able to examine what you blew out our nose, it's difficult to say if it was cartilage or bone.  You should contact your surgeon and inform them of this.  They may be able to give you more specific information after reviewing the operative notes.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Bone or cartilage coming out after rhinoplasty is not normal.

+1

This is not normal. You should take it to your surgeon and let him see it.  It may have been a small fragment which worked it's way out and will probably not affect the final result.