Post 8 Weeks Rhinoplasty - Shapeless Nose, Bulbous Tip, Loss of Definition? (photo)

I'm now 8 weeks post-op and Im not happy with the results. The nose does look really natural, most people who didn't know I got operated couldn't pinpoint what had changed. I, however, feel it has completely altered my face. The nose looks shapeless and the tip is very round. The nasal bridge looks so wide, and in general i feel it almost blends into the rest of my face, without any sort of definition. I wanted to know if my nose is still swollen after 8 weeks, and whether I can still expect changes.

Swelling 8 weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not happy with the results of your surgery. A rounded tip and shapeless nose is likely the result of swelling. Swelling can also lead to the appearance of a wide nasal bridge. The good news is that you will see changes as you continue to heal. It can take up to year before the final result of your surgery is evident. In general, swelling can be influenced by the following:

1) Thickness of the patient's skin

2) Whether the procedure was a revision

3) Whether the procedure was open or closed.

4) Whether or not tip work was performed

The tip is usually the last to come around, and will appear more defined closer to the one-year mark. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastycharlotte.com/rhinoplasty-surgery/primary-rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be Patient For Swelling to Resolve After Open Approach Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Viv,

Yes, you must be patient, especially after an open rhinoplasty where there is normally more swelling than with a closed approach rhinoplasty.  You may try sleeping with your head elevated above your heart (on 2 to 3 pillows.)  Give it about 6 to 12 months, though if you take a photo every month you will likely notice the improvement.  Be patient and enjoy your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

At 8 weeks your nose is still very swollen. It wil take up to a year for it to go away. It is always helpful as well to post pre and post pictures.

Bulbous tip postop

+2

It is very hard to say without a preop photo.  The tip may be nicely refined compared to how it was originally.  If it was an open rhinoplasty, you may still be swollen at this point and require several more weeks to see the final result.  

Web reference: http://www.thomassenplasticsurgery.com

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

+1

Hi,

Yes your tip does look bulbous and at 8 weeks post -op is should be less bulbous. There are three general types of bulbous tip; cartilagenous, fatty and scarred from previous rhinoplasty. It look like your is cartilagenous. I dont think it will change much so you will need to seek a revision to correct this in the future. See link below.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com/bulbous-nose-tip-correction-case-study.htm