Huge Nose, Can Rhinoplasty Make a Big Difference? (photo)

I am 40 years old and in good health. I've hated my nose for most of my life but surgery scares me and I've heard nightmare stories about botched rhinoplasty. I can hardly breathe out of my left nostril, just very unhappy with size and shape. How can I know what the outcome will be to know whether it is worth it or not?

Considering rhinoplasty at age 40

+2

A rhino-septoplasty will certainly help with the breathing issues. The shape of your nose can also be improved.

I understand your hesitation, as stories of "botched" rhinoplasties get a lot of attention. However, by doing your homework and consulting with several board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty, you should become more comfortable with the process. Select a surgeon who not only has the credentials and experience, but one who also has great patient references and I expect you'll be very delighted with the outcome.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Difficult rhinoplasty

+2

A skillfully done rhinoplasty can be a transformative experience for the patient. 

It is advisable to consult with several board certified plastic surgeons, possibly ASAPS members or facial plastic surgeons with considerable interest in rhinoplasty.

Do you homework before arriving in the office (background, online reputation, credentials, schooling, residency, hospital credentials).

When you are in the right office, you will feel that you will be well taken care of after your procedure.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Rhinoplasty is a great option; just find the right surgeon.

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very safe surgical procedure when done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.Nasal surgery is not easy and it takes a great deal of training and  experience. Attention to the airway is also critical, because it does not make sense to have a great looking nose if you cannot breath through it. I hope that the information below helps you in your research.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Huge nose, can rhinoplasty make a big difference?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear you have not been happy with your nose. In the right hands, rhinoplasty can yield a fantastic result and dramatically change one's life for the better. The inability to breath out of one nostril is likely due to a septal deviation, and an exam can help determine this for sure. Some surgeons use computer imaging software to morph a photo of the patient. This helps give the patient an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Whether or not the surgery is worth it really depend on the value you place on the surgery, and how you feel it would benefit your life. It is difficult to predict the exact outcome, but establishing great communication with your prospective surgeon can give you great perspective. In general, you should consider the following when looking for a surgeon:

1) Board certification

2) Credentials

3) Fellowship training

4) Before and after photos that showcase the surgeon's work

5) Great patient testimonials

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

You have what should be a very straightforward rhinoplasty. Go on several consults until you find a surgeon you believe has the most skill and experience. Do not price shop. Your procedure could be done as a closed rhinoplasty in about an hour and a half. If you go on a consult and the surgeon talks about cartilage grafts and a four hour procedure, move on to another consult. You nose should not be that involved.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Patients interested in rhinoplasty surgeon must understand the unique and special differences between every individual's face. A careful rhinoplasty surgeon will analyze the entire face and create a new nose based on its relationship to the entire face. This proportional look will give the most natural result. I think you are a good rhinoplasty candidate based on the pictures you provided. Realize that you will not end up with a tiny little button nose because it just wouldn't fit your face.

Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Rhinoplasty Can Make a Big Difference in Both the Aesthetics and the Function of the Nose

+1

Hi Door,

There are two very good reasons for you to consult with expert rhinoplasty surgeons.  The first is that your nose has bothered you for most of your life.  We find that patients who have given a great deal of thought about their rhinoplasty goals are usually happy with their results.  You can have both your breathing improved as well as improving the appearance of your nose with septo-rhinoplasty.  You can never be 100% certain of the outcome of your rhinoplasty before surgery, or know for certain that it is worth it for you.  What you can do is choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully by doing your due diligence.  It is important to choose a surgeon who has artistic vision, skill, and experience.  At our rhinoplasty consultations, after getting to know you, we then use computer imaging to give you as close to a realistic picture of what you may expect with your surgery.  By working on the image together, I am able to get a true feeling of what your aesthetic vision and goals are so that in the operating room they can best be achieved.  We also look at before and after photos of rhinoplasty patients who have a nose similar to yours.   Rhinoplasty is a great operation with wonderful results for the great majority of patients.  Good luck and be well.

Michael A. Persky, MD

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Natural rhinoplasty comes from rhinoplasty surgeons who do natural noses.

+1

Natural rhinoplasty comes from rhinoplasty surgeons who do natural noses. you can avoid having a botched nose job if you choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Meet with his patients to see the type of noses he does. Botched nose jobs are usually done by inexperienced surgeons. Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons know how to avoid these problems.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction

+1

Performing a rhinoplasty on  a patient with a large hump and projecting nose creates more facial balance which translates into patients having more self-confidence and feeling better about themselves.  It's important to find a rhinoplasty surgeon who is performed thousands of rhinoplasties  to obtain the best results.  Please see the  link below for examples of noses similar  to your own that we have treated in our practice

Rhinoplasty can make a big difference

+1

It is amazing just how powerful a rhinoplasty can be in facial appearance. Even a small bump can make all the difference in the world. To see for your self if the project is 'worth it', find a surgeon who can use computer simulation to show you how things will appear and you can see for yourself if it is the right change to make.