At What Point is Surgery Necessary for Split Abdominal Muscles?

after my last c-section i noticed my stomach always sticks out to the point where i look about 3 months pregnant. As it turns out, my muscles are split from the top of my stomach to my incision scar. It is really uncomfortable and my insides feel sore at times. It also seems like i may have a herniated belly button. At what point is it necessary to have surgery to fix this?

Elective vs Emergency Diasatsis Repair

+2

Most of the time, a diastasis of the rectus muscles is not a medical issue.  It may be unpleaseant in terms of appearance and possible discomfort, but rarely is it medically indicated.  However, in some cases,the pressure of the intraabdominal contents pushing on the weakened abdominal wall can cause it to thin out so much where it could become a true hernia.  The best thing to do would be to see a surgeon and let them feel your abdomen and possibly image it with a CT scan to get a better understanding of your abdominal wall.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Hernia versus Diastasis Repair with Tummy Tuck

+1

An incarcerated hernia is an absolute indication for repair. However, a diastasis is NOT an indication for repair and is considered cosmetic

Abdominal muscle split or spread? Diastasis recti and the treatment options

+1

Diastasis recti is very common after having multiple pregnancies. It does not represent a "split in the muscle, but only a spread in the central area of the 2 abdominal muscles. A true split in the muscles is referred to as a hernia and it is common to have a small umbilical hernia (belly button hernia) in combination with a diastasis recti. You can elect to repair the umbilical hernia separately if it is large which can be covered with insurance. If the belly button hernia is small, a combined repair with a diastasis recti repair would be optimal. A diastasis repair can be done as a stand alone operation with the use of an endoscope with 2 small incisions. The repair involves two layers of internal stitches placed in the borders of the abdominal muscles which bring them together. This is called an abdominal wall plication. This can also be part of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) when there is excess skin on the abdomen too. 

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Surgery Necessary for Split Abdominal Muscles

+1

If you mean by the word "necessary" insurance coverage, than it could be a covered benefit. It really depends upon the severity of the split, in other words causing a hernia or painful, and the health insurance plan you may have. If you meant as a necessary cosmetic surgery than that is very personal. More up to you and your wishes. Seek in person opinions from boarded plastic surgeons. Best of luck. 

Emergency VS. Elective VS. Necessary VS. Unnecessary Surgery - Made Easy

+1

Regarding: " At What Point is Surgery Necessary for Split Abdominal Muscles?
after my last c-section i noticed my stomach always sticks out to the point where i look about 3 months pregnant. As it turns out, my muscles are split from the top of my stomach to my incision scar. It is really uncomfortable and my insides feel sore at times. It also seems like i may have a herniated belly button. At what point is it necessary to have surgery to fix this
?"

A FEW Definitions:
EMERGENCY Surgery - A highly volatile dangerous surgical condition requiring immediate remedial action (such as ruptured appendix, bleeding aneurysm etc)
The opposite of Emergency is ELECTIVE
ELECTIVE Surgery = A surgical condition where the operation cane be scheduled to a date and time convenient for the patient, surgeon and the OR staff.

AMONG the types of procedures which are elective can be those which improve life and function (Hysterectomy, Mastectomy, some hernia repairs, colon resections, joint replacements, facial reconstruction, breast reconstruction, cleft lip or palate repair) OR operations which improve appearance but do NOT improve function nor save lives (IE Cosmetic Surgery).

EVERY woman who has had a full term pregnancy has stretched her tummy muscles. Every woman who had more than a single pregnancy has definite split tummy muscle and a split (Diastasis). In other words, if normal is "constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type" - then it is normal for women of a certain age to have split tummy muscles.

For this reason, all medical insurance companies in the US are united in their refusal to pay for Cosmetic Surgery (IE "unnecessary" surgery) which includes Tummy Tuck Surgery.

If you want your tummy flattened and get your before babies body back, only better, you will have to pay for it out of pocket.

Dr. Peter Aldea

There is no must

+1

This is cosmetic surgery, yes it helps a bit with the abdominal protrusion, but no one must have it -- it is elective and will help improve the way you look.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD