How Many Sizes Will I Lose From Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

I am 5 foot 7 I weigh about 200 pounds,and I carry allot in the abdominal area.MY Ideal weight is about 155.I am strong built.I have had three pregnancies in the past 9 years ,and all three little angels weighed on average 10 pounds.I have lost weight after the first,then less after the second and with the third,forget it,I can excercise every day and nothing happens.SO My question is,about how many dress sizes can I loose after this procedure I am now size 16-18

Weight loss from Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+10

sarahortega,

The amount of weight loss and dress size decrease is very variable after a tummy tuck and liposuction.

The most important question is: how much of your fat is on the inside, and how much is on the outside. It is impossible to determine from your picture how much fat is directly under the skin. You need to understand that the volume of fat inside your abdomen (underneath the abdominal muscles, where your liver, stomach, and intestines are held) contributes significantly to your belly size. Best test you can do is to try and push your fingers into your belly and see how deep they push in before hitting your muscles. This represents the thickness of fat on the outside and it is this fat that is removed in liposuction and tummy tucks.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck results

+7

The amount of sizes you would loose after a tummy tuck is really unpredictable. I try and tighten the abdominal muscles as much as possible which reduces the waist in addition to removing as much of the excess tummy tissue-fat, skin, that I can. The "rest" of the size would be what is "left" within the tummy, like fat around the intestines.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

If Your Extra Weight is Inside the Abdomen, Lose It First!

+4

Hi Sara,

It can be very frustrating trying to lose weight prior to having an abdominoplasty.  I have seen patients successfully lose weight using the South Beach Diet and Weight Watchers.   I think both of these diets are safe and effective, but must be combined with exercise.  Walking 30 minutes 4-5 times each week is a good start and will keep your metabolism going.   Increase your meal frequency to 5-6 small meals each day and avoid processed foods and excess carbohydrates (white bread, sweets, crackers, cookies, ice cream, surgar laden foods). Try to eat lots of green or fibrous vegatables and fruits (especially berries).  Do these things and you will lose weight.  I know this is all easier said than done!  In summary, it is your diet that is holding you back, not your willingness to exercise.  

A key point about whether you can procede safely with abdominoplasty at your present weight is whether you carry the weight in your midsection.  If the fat is high and deep in the abdomen, then you must lose at least part of it first.  If the weight is in your hips or low in the abdomen and just under the skin then sometimes you can procede.  A board certified plastic surgeon can determine where the fat is and if it is safe for you to procede.

If you can procede, I have found patients often find it easier to lose weight after their tummy tuck.   They get both a mental and I think physical boost from not having all that extra tissue and commonly lose weight after the surgery.  It makes the result look even better.

I find patients change in size is  dependent on this weight loss after surgery more than the surgery itself but a 2 -3 dress size decrease would be a reasonable estimate.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

How Many Sizes Will I Lose From Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+3

I agree with Dr Rand. But to directly answer your question the decrease in sizes would be about 2 to 3 sizes. It is ALWAYS best to lose weight before this surgery. Best of luck.  

Loosing weight before tummy tuck

+2

You really have two options.  You could have a tummy tuck now (with the weight) and have an "okay" result.  The surgery will basically involve cutting away some of the excess fat.  Your other option would be to loose weight first and then have the surgery.  This should lead to a "great" result.  If the weight is already gone, then the focus of the surgery can be contouring and shaping which will give you much nicer results.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Changes in clothing size with tummy tuck

+1

Quite frequently, major tummy tucks will not produce significant changes in clothing sizing despite dramatic differences in aesthetic appearance.

Lose the weight first

+1

Regardless of the frustrating experience you are having with your weight, you MUST lose the weight first before having a tummy tuck, especially if you are almost 50 pounds overweight.  If you don't, the surgery will produce very little result and you will be disappointed with the outcome. 

Watch what you eat, take in less calories than you burn, and eat lots of protein and get regular exercise.  The weight will come down.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS