Does Skin Tighten Up Again After Seroma?

I developed a seroma 3 weeks after having a full tummy tuck and muscle repair. A drain was inserted through my belly button and up into the pocket for one week (collecting a total of 60cc's) Two days after the removal of the drain, the seroma returned. Since then it was aspirated four times (only draining 10cc's or less each time), and now I have a Penrose drain in place. The skin is now very loose and I am worried it might stay this way. How long should it take to tighten up again?

Skin contraction after seroma drainage

From your description either the seroma is very small or it is not being drained completely.  A small seroma probably won't stretch your skin significantly.  A large might and it will affect the final outcome.  How much, that is difficult to tell.  It may be barely noticeable if at all.  You should certainly wait at least 3 months after all of the seroma is drained and healed.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Allow 4 months for skin to contract after seroma

I would agree with my colleague in stating that within 4 months, you should be able to assess the results of skin contraction following complete resolution of the seroma.

Small seroma after tummy tuck

It sounds like your small seroma, while bothersome, won't be much of an issue in the long-run.  Give everything at least 6-9 months before making final judgment.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Skin tightening after a seroma

Give it 4 months after there is no more fluid and you will know what the final skin shrinkage result will be.