Will Slow Walking After Brazilian Butt Lift Hurt Results?

My post op instruction were not clear about bedrest. 12 days after my BBL, I felt good enough to walk a little over a half mile to the market and back. I walked very slowly and took very small steps. Now, I worry that I may have hurt my results. I was someone who bounced back quickly. I followed ALL of my surgeon's instructions to the letter; no sitting, bending of the hips, sleeping on stomach, fluids, etc. but, nobody told me I couldn't go for a walk! I will ask him, but what do you think?

Could Slow Walking After Brazilian Butt Lift Hurt Results?

+2

Before answering your question let's understand what takes place in fat transfers which affect fat survival.
- we use LOW level suction to rip fat cells into a steel tube. (Even though the suction volume is half the normal suction fat we still lose some of the fat)
- the fat is separated from blood and liposuction solution (as well as from its blood supply for a variable period of time) - more fat cells are lost
- the fat is loaded into syringes and grafted in narrow, stacked tunnels augmenting the locations we want to build up - The pressure of the injection and the lack of iimediate blood supply in the new location causes more fat cells to die
- we try to minimize compression-decompression of the grafted fat to allow blood vessels to slow grow into the grafted fat to supply it. That is the reason for the stringent instructions.

ALL of which you appear to have done.

BUT immobility is a MAJOR cause of a deathly complication - DVT. Appearance of blood clots in major leg and pelvic veins which can become detached and go to the longs and kill (PE). Much as we want to minimoze compression and decompression on the graft to save as much of it as possible, we use compression garments as a way to splint the fat in place, but avoiding ambulation may cause the fatal complication of DVT and PE. Personally, I would rather have a theoretical loss of SOME fat cells than the consequences of preserving those fat cells and losing my patient to a pulmonary embolus.

SO - I SERIOUSLY doubt you hurt anything. I would consult with your surgeon but walking is extremely important and if you were my patient I would encourage you to do it without overdoing it.

Hope this helped.

Peter a Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Slow walk after BBL

+1

Walking is good thing as long as it is done within reason. It prevents blot clots which can be fatal. On the other hand, forcing your self to walk/ run to the point is become exercise is also not a good idea. Speak with you plastic surgeon but it looks like you are doing all the right things!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Walking after BBL

+1

You are doing well! There is no reason why you should not be walking after surgery. As a matter of fact the worst thing you could do after surgery is to not be active and lay around. That is how you get fever and clots in the legs and a lot of other bad post operative problems. Be patient you will get better.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS