I had an open rhinoplasty 4 months ago. Pimple-like Bump on Columella by Incision for Open Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty 4 months ago. Up until about a week ago everything was healing well. Then this bump started to appear. It is kind of hard. It is very tender to touch and it looks like an infection of some sort because the skin is red almost all the way across the columella across my incision scar. I am starting to get worried about it now that it has been a week with no change.

Your body is likely trying to push our a suture knot

+1

Thank you for the question.  The timing and descriptions sounds like a suture knot that the body is trying to push out.  I would see your plastic surgeon as he/she may be able to pull the suture know out.  The suture is not really needed anymore so there should not be any harm there.

Dr. Remus Repta

Bump in Columella after Rhinoplasty, everything ok?

+1

I agree, probably just a small issue with a local stich, I would advise you to seek out your surgeon asap and get this resolved.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Pimple-like Bump on Columella by Incision for Open Rhinoplasty?

+1

You may want to go and see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon to see if this isn't the results of an internal suture. 

+1

Hi,

First thing I would ask you is if you have an artificial implant. If you do, see your surgeon immediately. You may just have inflammation from suture material used or a mild infection. Either way, you will probably need antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Pimple on Columellar Skin 4 Months Post Open Rhinoplasty

+1

You have either a skin cyst or more likely a retained suture placed deep in the skin during your surgery. Don't worry it is a minor problem; consult with your surgeon.

Pimple-like Bump on Columella

+1

Based on your description it appears that you have either a small cyst or a retained suture at the incision

Sam Naficy, MD

Pimple after rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds like an old stitch that hasn't completely dissolved yet. Don't pick at it. Go in to see your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Post Open Rhinoplasty

+1

I would go in and see your surgeon as soon as possible. You may have a small in-grown hair or a piece of suture, a pimple any of these things can cause a small festering. This area of the nose is tender. It is important to have it taken care of. More then likely it should be a simple case of  just lancing with a small needle and you will be back on the road to recovery. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD