Will the Indentation from the Splint Go Away?

I had an open rhinoplasty almost a month ago and can still feel an indentaton where the external splint was (for the first 10 days), it's at the top of my nose near my eyes, will this likely go away?

Indentation Secondary to Nasal Splint

+1

If the indentation is secondary to swelling this will resolve in the near future. As long as you cannot see the indentation it is probably secondary to a palpable irregularity of the healing fracture site caused by moving the nasal bones during surgery. This also will resolve. 

+1

Hi,

The answer is yes. This is due to swelling. Once the swelling subsides the indent will fade away. May take up to 12 weeks.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Indentations common after rhinoplasty from splints...

+1

Without an examination it is impossible to answer your question precisely.  But after surgery many patients feel irregularities along the bridge of the nose. Whether or not this will be visible will only be known with time, follow up with your surgeon is essential.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dent in nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Probably the indentation is due to movement of the bones performed during the rhinoplasty.  Small ridges and dents are not uncommon after bone work is performed. If this is something you feel but don't see then you can probably ignore it (unless it interferes with wearing glasses). 

If there is a visible mark this might be improved with some filler injections.  If there is a problem with glasses you can try fillers to increase the padding or change to a different type of frame or nose piece.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Indentation from Splint

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person and examining your nose – you should consider seeing your surgeon for an assessment

Sam Naficy, MD

Indent from splint

+1

At this time I doubt it is from the splint. There might be an irregularity from lowering a boney hump you had. As long as you can't see it, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's visible at three months you could certainly discuss it with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD