Is It Normal to Wake Up in the Morning and for the Nose to Be Really Puffy?

Its almost been 5 months since I had my rhino/septo plasty when I wake up its really puffy and I have to put cream to make it go down. Also how long would you say it will take to completely heal if I had a rhino/septo plasty together. I also have thick skin will it keep changing

Puffy Nose When I Wake Up in the Morning Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling in the morning when you have been quiet and horizontal all night is very common 5 months after septorinoplasty in a patient with thick nasal skin. This will resolve, but it may take another year in a patient with skin like yours. Sleeping with your head elevated above the level of your chest may minimize this swelling as you heal.

Puffy nose in morning

+1

Thicker skin noses in general need plenty of time to develop their final shape – you may wish to see your surgeon about Kenalog injections

Sam Naficy, MD

Post Septorhinoplasty

+1

With thick skinned individuals you will see more swelling and this is very common. Make sure you try and limit high amounts of sodium in your diet and that you sleep elevated with a few pillows behind your head. This should help with the extra puffiness and swelling in the morning. Also strenous exercise and heat will add to swelling problems so watch extra hot showers in the am. Your healing process will take an entire year and in the next few months you should see a large percentage of the swelling dissipate. The swelling usually dissipates from the bridge to the tip so the tip will be the final healing process. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD