Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty Patient. How Tight Should I Tape the Plaster?

Im 8 days post op (Im in Australia) my splint was removed yesterday and the nasal packaging as well. My doctor advised to wear plaster with some gauze underneath and tape onto my nose when Im at home & at night for the next 4 weeks How tight should I tape the plaster?I fear it may ruin the shape of my result with the plaster being so heavy and weighing down on my nose? My nose still has 'gel' stuff in it and I can't breathe - do these come out naturally? How do I help clear my airway? Thanx

Splinting of the nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

There are limited situations where I use 'at home' splinting and/or taping. If I'm expecting the patient to do this himself - he will be given adequate instruction and should leave the office feeling confident about performing this. Your doctor should give you the instruction you need. Typically, if you are using a preshaped splint the tape should just be comfortably snug - don't fret over getting it very tight. However if you don't feel it's fitting well then get in to see your doctor. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Taping Cast to Nose

+1

The surgeon or the office staff should demonstrate how the cast should be taped. You want the cast placed firmly without pressure. Also ask your surgeon about the "gel" in your nostrils; the answer to your question depends on what was placed in your nose.

Post-op care questions

+1

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such

Sam Naficy, MD