Periosteal Swelling

I am 3 weeks post op and from the front near the top of my nose on either side it is very swollen. My surgeon has told me that they took a lot off while rasping my nose and the swelling is periosteal swelling. I there anything I could ask my doctor for that can help this to go down?

Bridge Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after surgery is normal and will resolve with time. A short course of steroids with medication such as a Medrol Dose Pak may or may not help, but it will do no harm.

Periosteal swelling

+1

If you truly have this issue than 6 to 12 months is the average time range to see resolution of this problem. I do not recommend steroid treatments after the first month postoperative. But it is an option. Discuss with the operative surgeon.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Swellinfg after a nose job

+1

Periosteal swelling can persist for a minimum of 6 months and up to two years. However, the vast majority should resolve within 3 months.

Swelling of the nasal bridge.

+1

Do nothing. It takes 6-12 months for the last bit of swelling to go away. Often it is sooner, so don't worry.

Rhinoplasty Edema and Periosteal Bony Swelling

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty is one of the most common questions. The periosteum is the thick sheet of tissue that covers bones, and commonly swells especially if bone reshaping was performed during the rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Time is the best treatment for nasal swelling after cosmetic surgery. Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistent swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose. Don't hesitate to speak to your plastic surgeon about any swelling.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Periosteal (Boney) Swelling 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Time is the best treatment for the periosteal swelling that you are experiencing.  Some patients may benefit from a Depomedrol IM injection, but go over this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD