Can You Get Ultratherapy with a Titanium Piece in Your Cheekbone?

Titanium cheek implants and Ultherapy - No ; dental implants - YES

+1
We place gauze between cheeks and jaw for those with titanium tooth implants - but we don't advocate or recommend that for implant plates in the cheekbones or maxilla.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Ultherapy with Cheekbone Implant

+1

While Ultherapy should not be performed directly over metal or other types of implants, the ultrasound technology is such that the doctor can visualize the exact location treatment is reaching, so the implant can be avoided. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience using Ulthera.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy treatments over cheek implants or metal

+1

Ultherapy uses microfocused ultrasound and does not work well over a highly dense metal. The procedure can still be performed, but care must be taken to avoid the area of concern. Our office regularly performs customized Ultherapy treatments in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ultherapy can be treated around implants

+1

Your physician has a monitor that allows him or her to visualize the plane of penetration of  Ultherapy. If the monitor shows the implant and the energy won't be delivered that deeply, then it probably is safe. Certainly, the doctor can use Ultherapy and treat around the implant.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ultherapy over implanted devices

+1

Ulthera is not indicated for treatment directly over implants of any kind. You should proceed with caution, and let your Dr. and/or provider know that you have an implant and where it is located. They should be able to image it on the screen and stay away from it.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Ultherapy (Ulthera) with a Piece of Titanium in the Cheekbone

+1

Hi Bullet,

One of the advantages of Ulthera is that the ultrasound visualization allows the physician to visualize what is being treated.  We do not treat over the boney areas of the cheeks, but rather treat the soft tissue between the lower portion of the cheek bone and the superior edge of the mandible (jaw bone).  I agree with Dr. Weiner that Ulthera should not be performed over Titanium, but I believe that it can be avoided and that I can treat a patient such as this safely.  I only speak for the treatment in my hands.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ulthera

+1

I believe that you need to proceed with caution. The area overlying the titanium plate can be skipped or treated with the very superficial hand piece and lower settings. The Ultrasound energy can heat up the plate and cause deep burns.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Ulthera cannot be done in face with Titanium plates

+1

The ultrasound waves will bounce off the metal and scatter unpredictably.  This is one of the only reasons someone can't have an Ulthera treatment.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD