Can Ulthera Result in Noticeable Volume Loss in Cheeks?

This would present a big problem for me. What I would like is a slight lift to my face without the volume loss. Adult:65.

Ultherapy and Volume Loss

+1
This has not been shown to be clinically important but almost all doctors treat facial laxity and volume loss - some advocate treatments during the same session (after Ultherapy is done) and others within a month FOLLOWING Ultherapy. Since both stimulate collage production, they SEEM to think that they have a synergistic effect even though it has not been reproduced in clinical studies. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Cheek lift and Ulthera treatments in Los Angeles

+1

Our office customizes Ulthera treatments with either Sculptra or Radiesse to optimize volume enhancement of the cheeks. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ultherapy does not reduce volume; ultherapy lifts sagging facial tissues

+1

Rather than cause volume depletion in the cheeks, Ultherapy fills in to some extent the depression in the mid and lower cheek that develops from descent of the face. We know that a contributing factor to the aged appearance is fat loss in the deep face, right on top of the bone. The lack of support that had been present when fat was there, causes the cheek to fall and fold over the smile crease making a bigger fold and creating  jowl. 

Ultherapy, by focusing ultrasound energy to the deeper planes of the face, tightens the connective tissue and creates new collagen. It is not known to reduce the fat. Once it lifts the lower face, there is less jowls and the skin and fat layers (not the deep fat) is raised up replacing some of the volume that is missing in the cheek.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ulthera Does Not Result in Noticeable Volume Loss in the Cheeks

+1

Hi X,

Ulthera usually results in the appearance of more volume in the cheeks as a result of the lifting of the lower face.  We have not noted volume loss in the cheeks of our Ulthera patients over the past two years of treatments.  Many Ultherapy patients have volume augmentation in addition, a local colleague has coined the term "Sculpthera" which combines Ulthera with Sculptra injections.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Volume loss with Ultherapy

+1

Ultherapy tightens the skin and deeper layers of tissue by heating them and will shrink some of your volume by tightening the tissues in the area treated.  Typically there is not significant volume loss, but the face will sometimes appear slimmer due to the fact that the tissues are lifted and tighter.  I don't see much actual volume loss from Ultherapy when the proper protocols are used.

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist