Safe to Get Orthognathic Surgery and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time?

orthognathic is for correction of a bad bite and rhinoplasty (more commonly used) as we all know nose correction.

Orthognathic surgery and rhinoplasty

+2

It would be best to have each procedure performed separately, as bite correction and rhinoplasty may both be complex surgeries depending on your individual needs. It may be best to have the bite correction taken care of first, as orthognathic surgery can change the movement of the nose. Hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Orthagnathic surgery and rhinoplasty

+2

If you need a LeFort I procedure in which the upper jaw needs to be freed from the upper face so that your bite is in alignment and your face is in proper orientation, I would consider waiting 6 months before having a rhinoplasty. The dynamics of the move may change the appearance of the nose.

Rhinoplasty and Simultaneous Orthognathic Surgery

+2

If the orthognathic surgery involves repositioning of the upper teeth and the maxillary bone, it would be better to do the rhinoplasty later.The technique and goals of the rhinoplasty are influenced by the position of the surrounding facial structures.

Simultaneous rhinoplasty and orthognathic procedures

+2

While many orthognathic amd rhinoplasty procedures can be performed simultaneously, there may be certain combinations of such as a Lefort I and septal surgery that are not advised.

Better to do jaw surgery first

+1

Although the 2 procedures may be combined (and often are) doing the rhinoplasty after the jaw surgery offers a greater chance for fine-tuning of the results and reduced the risk of airway complications.

Sam Naficy, MD

Healing is Related to Blood Supply

+1

As other posters have noted, a LeFort I procedure in the same setting as a Rhinoplasty is probably not advisable. The primary reason is disruption in blood supply and potential loss of support for the nose.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combined orthognathic surgery and rhinoplsty

+1

Some orthognathic surgeries, especially those of the upper jaw, have a significant effect on the nose. As such, the rhinoplasty would be best staged until a later time in my opinion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Orthognathic surgery and rhinoplasty should be done separately

+1

There is a great deal of facial swelling associated with orthognathic surgery and nasal swelling with rhinoplasty, which can lead to airway complications.

After rhinoplasty the nose is very swollen and patients are unable to breath through their nose and must breath through their mouth. However, if orthognathic surgery is done at the same time as the rhinoplasty, the patient will be unable to sufficiently breath through their mouth due to facial and oral swelling from the orthognathic surgery.

It is best to avoid possible airway complications and have the surgeries done separately to ensure you will be able to breath through at least your nose or mouth.

Orthognathic surgery in combination with rhinoplasty

+1

These 2 procedures can be safely performed together depending onthe extent of each procedure necessary.  Your 2 surgeons should discuss the situation together to determine if you are a good candidate to have tehm done together or at a separate time.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Orthognathic surgery and rhinoplasty

+1

It is probably safe, depending on the duration and extent of your surgery, but in most cases I recommend doing your jaw surgery first and then your rhinoplasty at least 3-6 months later. Nasal and chin projection are closely related to creating an aesthetic profile, so it's best to perform significant alterations separately. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS