Chin Implant Vs Orthognathic Surgery for Receded Chin?

I have noticed my chin is receded in pictures so I started looking into a slight chin implant. The more look into it, it has dawned on me that this could be a result of having TMJ and I may need corrective jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery). My bite seems fine, however, if I slide my jaw forward, my profile looks so much better. If an implant was placed in my chin, a similar result would follow and it seems less complicated than jaw surgery. How will I know which is the best way to go?

Chin implant versus orthognathic surgery

+2

You should really be evaluated by an experienced surgeon who understands orthognathics. If you have a misaligned bite, this may be contributing to your TMJ. If you require this type of surgery, it may change your profile, so you should have it done prior to consideration of chin implantation.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant better for cosmetic purposes

+1

For purely cosmetic reasons, a well performed chin implant procedure is far superior to a more aggressive and traumatic jawbone altering surgery (sliding genioplasty or orthognathic surgery). There are far fewer problems and complications and the healing time is considerably faster.

In addition, the cosmetic results are usually superior. On the other hand, if you have a functional problem with a bite alteration or dental malocclusion contributing to both the deformity as well as the TMJ, a procedure to properly align your dental occlusion should be considered by an appropriate dental specialist.

However, a correction of TMJ usually does not require corrective jaw surgery. When the occlusion is relatively well and a person suffers from TMJ, the most common cause is bruxism or clenching and grinding the teeth related to tension (or even frequent chewing gum). Nevertheless, for cosmetic purposes, a well- placed chin implant is the best way to go.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant or orthognathic surgery

+1

Orthognathic surgery is performed on both the upper jaw and lower jaw to correct an underbite or overbite. It is usually performed on teeth in combination with orthodontics and is done when the bite is way off and the chin is receded. Whether or not orthognathic surgery would be appropriate for you depends on your bite. Have an evaluation with your dentist.

A chin implant is done for cosmetic purposes for a receding chin and can be done under local anesthesia through a 0.5 inch incision underneath the portion of the submentum. This is not related to TMJ. The chin implant is much less complicated than jaw surgery and the chin implant operation itself is completely reversible by simply removing the implant even years down the road is the patient wishes to do so.

Chin Implant or sliding geneoplasty for receding chin

+1

TMJ is Tempero-Mandibular Joint. If you have pain or click in the TMJ then you need this to be evaluated. If the Bite is normal and the mandible growth is normal then you may have two options

1: Chin Implant

2: Sliding geneoplasty, This will advance the chin bone forward and stabilized with scews and plates. This is more involved surgery, but no foreign material except the plate and scews. and long lasting, no further surgery needed. This can be done provided you have enough bone to slide. X-ray will tell.

Bigger Chins in Houston!

+1

A chin implant vs. orthognathic surgery.  Each of these procedures has a very definite indication, distinct difference in technique and level of invasiveness as well as potential risks.

First of all, the chin implant operation involves placing an implant (generally made of silicone) over your natural chin bone to provide additional projection.  The operation is ideal for those patients with an overall good facial form, good occlusion and a somewhat deficient chin.  It is done fairly swiftly through a small incision under and behind the chin.  The resulting scar is usually difficult to see on casual observation.  This is a commonly performed procedure that has high patient satisfaction.  Like any foreign material placed into the body, there are risks of infection and loss of the implant.

Orthognathic surgery for chin augmentation (sliding genioplasty) involves exposing and cutting the natural chin bone to provide projection. The incision is placed inside your mouth behind the lower lip.  This operation is more powerful in that it allows the surgeon to correct excesses in chin height by removing a wafer of bone, or correct assymetry by removing a wedge from one side for balance.  Once the bone is repositioned, it heals to the rest of your jaw and is quite permanent and natural.  An important potential risk to consider with this operation is injury to the nerves providing sensation to the lower lip.

In cases of extremely deficient chins, the lower jaw itself is usually too short.  This can be determined by assessing the facial balance and looking at the teeth to determine the type of bite one has.  If there is a significant "underbite", orthognathic surgery can be used to move the entire lower jaw forward.  This approach to correcting facial imbalance is performed through a coordinated effort with your orthodontist and surgeon. 

Orthognathic surgery is performed for correcting facial imbalance, malocclusion and sleep apnea.  The results are very gratifying and are generally associated with high patient satisfaction.

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Chin Implant VS. Genioplasty (Orthognathic Surgery)

+1

Once you decide that you do want surgery on your chin the procedure best suited to you should be based on your degree of chin retrusion. While placing an implant is a relatively simple operation, it is NOT universally applicable to all retrusive chin presentations out there. On the other hand, a genioplasty is applicable to all presentations but may be "over kill" for small chin retrusion cases in which a implant will suffice. A sliding genioplasty allows chin reduction (like the Hapsburg / Leno chin) and chin auto augmentation.

Weak chin options

+1

You made great observations.  However, this is not something you can choose based on ease or complexity.  You may start with a ps, or an oral surgeon, or even your dentist.  The first place really to start is to evaluate your bite.  Even though it looks good to you, it may not be.  After that is evaluated, you can start to make informed choices.  The implant is the easiest way to go as you note.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Chin implant is simpler procedure

+1

Chin implant placement is a much simpler procedure than corrective jaw surgery. The latter is best reserved for those who do not have a normal bite. The procedure involves cutting into your mandile and advancing it forward when there is a significant mandibular recession. I would think that the chin implant will achieve the same results for your case.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

A chin implant is great for providing increased projection to your chin

+1

Hello - It sounds as though you're an excellent candidate for a chin implant. If your bite is fine and you like your profile while extending your chin a little then an implant is most likely the best way to go. The procedure is quick with minimal downtime and pain. Also, the costs are much less than orthognathic surgery. You can get a silicone or methylmethacrylate implant, but I usually prefer silicone as they're easier to place and do well in the long term.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Silastic Chin Implants have a long history of reliability and safety.

+1

If you'd like to have a stronger chin and jawline, this may be attained through Chin Implant Surgery with minimal inconvenience. If you decide that you don't want an implant and would rather have a genioplasty, make sure you proceed with a physician experienced in the art of genioplasty surgery.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon