Chin Implant Vs Orthognathic Surgery for Receded Chin?

I have noticed my chin is receded in pictures so I started looking into a slight chin implant. The more look into it, it has dawned on me that this could be a result of having TMJ and I may need corrective jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery). My bite seems fine, however, if I slide my jaw forward, my profile looks so much better. If an implant was placed in my chin, a similar result would follow and it seems less complicated than jaw surgery. How will I know which is the best way to go?

Chin implant versus orthognathic surgery

+2

You should really be evaluated by an experienced surgeon who understands orthognathics. If you have a misaligned bite, this may be contributing to your TMJ. If you require this type of surgery, it may change your profile, so you should have it done prior to consideration of chin implantation.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bigger Chins in Houston!

+2

A chin implant vs. orthognathic surgery.  Each of these procedures has a very definite indication, distinct difference in technique and level of invasiveness as well as potential risks.

First of all, the chin implant operation involves placing an implant (generally made of silicone) over your natural chin bone to provide additional projection.  The operation is ideal for those patients with an overall good facial form, good occlusion and a somewhat deficient chin.  It is done fairly swiftly through a small incision under and behind the chin.  The resulting scar is usually difficult to see on casual observation.  This is a commonly performed procedure that has high patient satisfaction.  Like any foreign material placed into the body, there are risks of infection and loss of the implant.

Orthognathic surgery for chin augmentation (sliding genioplasty) involves exposing and cutting the natural chin bone to provide projection. The incision is placed inside your mouth behind the lower lip.  This operation is more powerful in that it allows the surgeon to correct excesses in chin height by removing a wafer of bone, or correct assymetry by removing a wedge from one side for balance.  Once the bone is repositioned, it heals to the rest of your jaw and is quite permanent and natural.  An important potential risk to consider with this operation is injury to the nerves providing sensation to the lower lip.

In cases of extremely deficient chins, the lower jaw itself is usually too short.  This can be determined by assessing the facial balance and looking at the teeth to determine the type of bite one has.  If there is a significant "underbite", orthognathic surgery can be used to move the entire lower jaw forward.  This approach to correcting facial imbalance is performed through a coordinated effort with your orthodontist and surgeon. 

Orthognathic surgery is performed for correcting facial imbalance, malocclusion and sleep apnea.  The results are very gratifying and are generally associated with high patient satisfaction.

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

A chin implant is great for providing increased projection to your chin

+2

Hello - It sounds as though you're an excellent candidate for a chin implant. If your bite is fine and you like your profile while extending your chin a little then an implant is most likely the best way to go. The procedure is quick with minimal downtime and pain. Also, the costs are much less than orthognathic surgery. You can get a silicone or methylmethacrylate implant, but I usually prefer silicone as they're easier to place and do well in the long term.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Chin implant or orthognathic surgery

+1

Orthognathic surgery is performed on both the upper jaw and lower jaw to correct an underbite or overbite. It is usually performed on teeth in combination with orthodontics and is done when the bite is way off and the chin is receded. Whether or not orthognathic surgery would be appropriate for you depends on your bite. Have an evaluation with your dentist.

A chin implant is done for cosmetic purposes for a receding chin and can be done under local anesthesia through a 0.5 inch incision underneath the portion of the submentum. This is not related to TMJ. The chin implant is much less complicated than jaw surgery and the chin implant operation itself is completely reversible by simply removing the implant even years down the road is the patient wishes to do so.

Chin Implant VS. Genioplasty (Orthognathic Surgery)

+1

Once you decide that you do want surgery on your chin the procedure best suited to you should be based on your degree of chin retrusion. While placing an implant is a relatively simple operation, it is NOT universally applicable to all retrusive chin presentations out there. On the other hand, a genioplasty is applicable to all presentations but may be "over kill" for small chin retrusion cases in which a implant will suffice. A sliding genioplasty allows chin reduction (like the Hapsburg / Leno chin) and chin auto augmentation.

Weak chin options

+1

You made great observations.  However, this is not something you can choose based on ease or complexity.  You may start with a ps, or an oral surgeon, or even your dentist.  The first place really to start is to evaluate your bite.  Even though it looks good to you, it may not be.  After that is evaluated, you can start to make informed choices.  The implant is the easiest way to go as you note.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Chin implant is simpler procedure

+1

Chin implant placement is a much simpler procedure than corrective jaw surgery. The latter is best reserved for those who do not have a normal bite. The procedure involves cutting into your mandile and advancing it forward when there is a significant mandibular recession. I would think that the chin implant will achieve the same results for your case.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Silastic Chin Implants have a long history of reliability and safety.

+1

If you'd like to have a stronger chin and jawline, this may be attained through Chin Implant Surgery with minimal inconvenience. If you decide that you don't want an implant and would rather have a genioplasty, make sure you proceed with a physician experienced in the art of genioplasty surgery.

I hope you find this helpful.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation or enlargement

+1

Jaw or chin surgery is the technique used to avoid implants and achieve a long term correction. It is more invasive and tends to have greater risks and expense in the short term. Implants are less invasive but do have a greater potential for migration, erosion, extrusion or infection.

Chin implants are easier than orthgnathic surgery, whats best depends on your bite

+1

A pure answer is that most patients with receding chins might benefit most from orhthognathic surgery. That may mean cutting and sliding chin bone only or moving the upper and/or lower jaws, sometimes separating the bone holding the teeth as well. This is aggressive surgery and I feel should be reserved for patients with significant facial and bite deformities. TMJ in and of itself will not cause a receding chin. There are some rare conditions in which the joint degenerates and that is why the chin recedes. A TMJ specialist would be able to determine if you have that condition.

So, for most patients a chin implant is simpler, faster and easier recovery for achieving an aesthetic facial profile. There are a number of shapes available to get the best contour that fits your face.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD