Do I Need a Maxillofacial Surgeon for Orthognathic Surgery?

I'm considering getting orthognathic surgery in the future and one of the surgeons I'm considering is a craniofacial surgeon and a plastic surgeon, but not an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Do you think it would be wise to choose a doctor for this surgery who is not a maxfax?

I ask because although this surgeon isn't a maxfax, he has extensive experience with this procedure and has produced excellent results. Thanks!

Craniofacial surgery and maxillofacial surgery

+2

All the subspecialties in plastic surgery and ENT and oral surgery can overlap. Maxillofacial surgeons generally come from plastic surgery, otolaryngology, or oral surgery. Craniofacial surgery generally have experience with maxillofacial surgery as it is considered a subsect of this subspecialty. Usually if a craniofacial surgeon prefers to concentrate on the cranium, he or she will work in conjunction with a maxilllofacial specialist and/or oral surgeon. Confused enough?

Using the right surgeon

+1

Orthognathic surgery can be performed by a craniofacial expert in plastic surgery or an oral surgeon. If the guy gets great results, he is the one to go to.

Plastic versus craniofacial versus maxillofacial versus oral surgery for orthognathic procedure: What's up with that????

+1

I would likely consider an oral surgeon for orthoghathic surgery unless that plastic surgeon has extensive experience. Commonly most plastic surgeons performing maxillofacial and spefically orthognathic procedures work closely with an oral surgeon or orthodontist and prosthedontist. Make sure this is available with whomever you choose.