Is It Optional to Go in Surgery to Fix a Broken Nose if Thats What U Want?

I recently broke my nose and my appointment is going to be 10days after i broke my nose. and they said after that appointment they will arrange anothet one about a week later to straighten my nose. can i be put to sleep through the procedure?

Repair of nasal fracture

+1

Acute Nasal fracture reduction can be performed under local anaesthetic in the office setting. It is best performed between 1 -2 weeks after the initial injury. If the fracture is longstanding then a formal rhinoplasty may be required and this will involve and anaesthetic and an operating room. Nasal fractures are generally not urgent and in some cases dont required repair at all.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a broken nose is an optional procedure

+1

Fixing a broken nose is always an optional procedure.  The reduction of the nasal fracture is performed under general anesthesia and is performed by a board certified physician anesthesiologist and should always be done in a certified outpatient ambulatory surgery center.

Closed reduction for immediate correction

+1

Closed reduction of the fracture is most likely what your surgeon is planning for you.  This is simply re-setting or repositioning the bones to their pre-injury position.  This can be done under local anesthetic, under sedation, or under anesthesia.  Closed reduction is a simple, safe procedure, but it cannot correct more complicated deformities of the nose (even if they are the result of the injury).  For example, a new hump on the bridge or deformity of the lower cartilages or septum would need to be treated with a more formal rhinoplasty, which would normally be done a few months afterward.  If the main issue at that time is to fix a crooked nose, the process can be fairly involved depending on the severity of the problem (see video attached).  Best of luck.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A broken nose can be "set" in the office under local anesthesia or in the surgery center under IV sedation or general anesthesia. We typically try to do this within two weeks of the injury before the bones reheal in the abnormal position. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fracture Management, Fixing a broken nose

+1

The management of a broken nose can take 2 forms.  The first is to perform a closed reduction of the fracture.  This must be performed within 10 to 14 days of the fracture. It can be done under local anesthesia, sedation or general anesthesia.  You may have even seen team physicians perform this without anesthesia at all on the sidelines of a game, not what I would recommend.  The second form of management is to perform an open reduction of the fracture.  This is more similar to a Rhinoplasty and is more often choosen when there was a preexisting (before the injury) deformity or functional problem that a patient may have been worried about and had not yet addressed.  An open reduction is only performed in the most severe fractures where plating( internal fixation) may be required.  If preexisting deformities or functional problem are to be addressed then the  open reduction(Rhinoplasty) should be postponed for 3 months after the injury to allow stabalization of the fracture giving the surgeon more control in the management of the problem.  Nasal fracture if managed by closed reduction should be performed within the first 10 to 14 days.  If a deformity existed before the injury and you would like this corrected at the same time then an open reduction (Rhinoplasty)  should be performed at 12 weeks.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose

+1

The bones of your nose will usually set pretty quickly ( Days) especially if you are young. It is usually best to have your nose re-broken and set before your nasal bones began to set up into an abnormal position. Yes, most patients do go to sleep to have this type of procedure performed. Perhaps you should seek out a second option regarding your injury. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon