Nose Getting Bigger After Cast Removal?

i had a rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago .After my cast removal in 1 week nose looks small and good shape ..but suddenly 1 week after cast removal my nose getting bigger and bigger .. and still its looks like that way ... feels so desperate ... how long this can last?

Increased Swelling after Cast Removal in Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to experience increased swelling after the cast is removed.  I frequently retape patients from weeks 1 to 2, but the swelling is self limited and will resolve.  In the closed rhinoplasties that I have performed, most people (other than the surgeon and the patient) cannot tell that a surgery has been performed even 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery.

Enlarged Nose After Cast Removal

+1

At this point in time in the recovery process, it's very common to have some swelling take place. It's a good idea to also visit your plastic surgeon to make sure there is no infection in your nose.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Nose getting bigger after cast removal?

+1

One week is still very soon after surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following your procedure. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. Using 5-Flourouracil combined with kenalog is a great option for reducing post-operative swelling if necessary. There are some possible side effects that may occur such as white spots on the skin and indentation. But I have performed hundreds of these injections with no complications. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon to see what he/she advises to reduce some of your swelling. Thank you and best of luck with your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling after removal of splints.

+1

Part of the reason we place splints after a rhinoplasty is to help control swelling.  As a result, it can be normal for the swelling to increase a little bit after the splint is removed.  If you are concerned about the amount your swelling has increased, I strongly recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon and I am sure he/she would like to make sure everything is well.

With regards to your question of how long swelling can last after a rhinoplasty, I tend to tell my patients that roughly 60 percent will be out at 6 weeks, 80 percent at 6 months and 90 percent at one year.  As a general rule, you will not see the final result until approximately 2 years post-op.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Don't worry, swelling can increase for a couple weeks before it resolves

+1

Swelling can increase after the splints come off as the pressure of the splint is eliminated.  The swelling should then begin to subside starting a couple weeks afterward.  The degree and pace of swelling resolution depends on your skin thickness and the specific maneuvers performed during the surgery.  You should wait several months to a year before forming your long-term assessment of the results.  Best of luck.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

What you describe is what every patient goes through. I communicate to all of my patients that the splint will help decrease the swelling while holding the bones and cartilage in position for that first week. After one week things begin to scar enough that the splint is not needed any longer. The draw back is that without the pressure of the splint your nose will swell considerably. This will go away over 3-4 months but you can expect for full resolution to finalize around one year.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty Swelling is Common after Splint Removal

+1

Dear Jay, Thank you for your recent inquiry. It is common for the nose to swell slightly after the splint is removed. Rhinoplasty recovery takes times and while the majority of the swelling will dissipate in the first three to four months it takes an entire year for all of the swelling to completely resolve. With this said there are some things you can do to help alleviate excess swelling. Continue sleeping elevated with several pillows behind your back, watch your intake of salt, I tell my patients the perimeter of the grocery store is good for shopping and anything inside an aisle typically contains preservatives and salt. Watch extreme heat measures like sauna or jacuzzi this may also increase tissue swelling. Smoking is bad for circulation so this should be refrained as well. Last but not least,  time is on your side and with some patience you should start seeing the swelling reduce shortly. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal swelling

+1

Nasal swelling is common after rhinoplasty. This is most common during the first few months after surgery and may last a year and sometimes longer.

Nose getting bigger once the splint is removed

+1

yes it is!!!

i dont want to speak specifically to your situation, but the purpose of the splint is to reduce swelling (amoung other things).  once it is removed the nose swells again.

i tell this to all of my patients when the splint comes off.  i tell them the nose will swell over the next few days.  i tell them may may feel as if they are loosing some of the results.  i tell them the inside will likely swell too so their breathing might get worse.

this is all generally temporary.  is swells over the first couple of hours or days after the splint comes off then takes up to a month for the initial swelling to go away.

taping can help a little, but many patients dont like the idea of tape after then had a week of a splint.

also eating a diet that avoids grains and dairy for two weeks before and two weeks after ward can help.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Sometimes you see a little more rhinoplasty swelling after cast is removed.

+1

Hi.

Hard to be sure without pictures, but I would not worry too much.  Ask your surgeon.  The fact that the nose looked good when the cast was removed is very reassuring.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)