Will Botox Help with my Uneven Smile? (photo)

Finally I'm fixing my teeth with invisalign and will hopefully get teeth whitening at the end of the process so I can have a great smile!! The only problem is this gummy smile! I also feel like my smile is a little crooked.I've read that people use botox to fix this problem.Can this really help with my smile?I live in long island and I can't seem to find any plastic surgeon or cosmetic dentist that does this. But I found some places in NYC. Am I better off going to a plastic surgeon?Thank You!

Botox for a crooked smile

+1

Yes, Botox can be used to treat a gummy or even crooked smile. The results are unpredictable, though and so one should proceed with caution. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Botox for your smile.

+1

Botulinum toxin can be used off label to lower your upper lip, perhaps more on the left is what you want.  However, the results are not always all that predictable; and it does not last that long.  Sometimes it only last a few weeks around the mouth.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for a gummy smile

+1

Botox can be used to treat a gummy smile.  Consult a cosmetic dermatologist who can assess your smile and decide on the appropriate treatment for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and gummy smile

+1
Botox can help with your gummy smile.  You said that you are getting invisalign and teeth whitening.  If you are getting these braces now you are better off waiting on the Botox.  I hope this helps answer your questions!

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox for gummy smiles

+1

Thanks for your question. The muscles above your upper lip are the ones that lift your lip during different facial expressions. These muscles can definitely be treated with BOTOX to try and even out the position of your upper lip during smiling and other facial expressions. This usually requires a minimal amount of BOTOX and placement and titration of units becomes important since there is an assymetry at baseline. Your teeth do look very nice. There are plenty of doctors on Long Island that can do this.

Good luck

Sachin Parikh, MD 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful smile

+1

Your smile will be great when you are done, it already looks very white and fresh.  Yes, botox can alleviate a gummy smile and for the uneven smile, I recommend a small amount of filler to balance out the area.  Both are affordable options with little downtime and risks.  It is imperative that you see a cosmetic physician to perform this procedure.  Although the effects are not permanent, an unprofessional application of either of these options can lead to months of unhappiness with your appearance.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Botox for Gummy smile

+1

Botox can certainly be used to treat a gummy smile. You do not have to go into city to do this as there are dermatologists out in the island that can do a wonderful job with this. You teeth are looking great

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox works great to treat a gummy smile and can be quite affordable!!

+1

Botox injections are fabulous at improving the gummy smile. One small injection is placed on either side of the nose into the muscle that pulls up the lip. In a few days this muscle is weakened and the lip stops pulling up with smiling. When performed correctly, the smile looks very natural after injection. Even better, the cost should be very reasonable since only a few units of Botox are required!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for a gummy smile

+1

As a dermatologist I can't say anything about asymmetry of the teeth or jawline, but what I see in your photos is what we refer to as a gummy smile, where the levator muscles of the upper lip elevate the lip so high you see the upper gums.  I would strongly encourage you to see someone who is comfortable going after gummy smiles.  It only takes a little bit of Botox, but placement is very important.   Good luck.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting smile with Botox

+1
Botox can be used for symmetry but keep in mind that most of us are not symmetrical. Your cheeks are not even either. Currently, under NY law, the use of Botox is beyond the scope of dentistry, although there may be some who flaunt the law. See a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist when you are ready.

Robert L. Kraft, MD