Is 450cc too Big for Me? (photo)

My PS has suggested 450cc high profile shaped submuscular silicone implants. I am 5'8" 135lbs currently 34 -36 AA. I want a full C that will produce some cleavage in the right bra. I am not looking to have upper pole fullness, just natural looking breasts. Are 450cc high profile too much? Should I consider a different profile or a smaller cc?

Implant size thats right for you

+3

Hello. A 450cc implant may be too large for you. A much smaller implant would definitely be more natural looking, as would a moderate profile. The most important factor when determining the size of an implant is the width of your breasts. Since your breasts are so small to begin with an implant of this size would most likely give you more fullness in your upper poles than you seem to want.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

What implant?

+2

You have nice shape to your breasts and they face forward with a pretty, natural width and natural distance of your cleavage.They are very round so a round implant can give a nice, round breast, especially a high profile, round implant which gives more upper pole fullness. This may be more than you might want. As narrow as you are through your chest, you will be larger than a full "C". You mentioned that you are going with a shaped high profile implant. Is this a form stable one then? This is a nice style in taller women and can give the breast a nice slope in the upper pole. I have a Vectra 3D imaging system that takes away a lot of the guesswork for  the patient and would recommend you do this. I need to examine you in order to determine which implant style and size would be ideal. Remember, there are tradeoffs between implant types and styles. 

David R. Stephens, MD

Is 450 cc too big for me?

+2

I'm sure you can fit 450 ccs provided the base width of your breast can accomodate the 450 cc.  The question is how to determine what is the right size.  There are several ways to determine this.  First if your surgeon has the new Vectra simulation device then you can see how big it looks prior to surgery on your frame and you can determine what is too big or too small.  Second if you try the new Mentor sizing system by fitting breast sizers pre-op you can determine if 450 cc is the right size for you.  I find that most of my patients identify with the sizing system more than the computer simulation since they can actually look and feel the size of the implants prior to surgery.  Lastly the other method is to select a photo of another set of breasts with a similar frame and ask the surgeon to match that size.  By doing all three it would be rare that you would not be happy with the size you chose.  I use all three methods in my practice and I would say selecting the right size is spot on everytime.  Hope that helps.  Dr. Chu

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Sizing a patient for Breast Implants

+2

Hello, thank you for your inquire and photos. I think you should go for the size and type of Implant that you PS suggested.  Your chest measures 34 to 36 which is ok to handle a full C to Small D Breast Augmentation. Each patient is different though, so, the final decision should be  made in the office between the Patient and the Plastic Surgeon.   

Best Wishes

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Is 450CCs too Big for Me? #breastimplants

+2

In my opinion sizing a patient for imlants can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1
For your stated goals and objectives, 450 cc may not be an appropriate recommendation for you.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement

+1
I personally would not go with 450 in someone like you, that being said I am a conservative breast surgeon and have a strong preferance for a more natural look, i would have suggetsed 330

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

I think this implant will work well from what I can see.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Are 450cc too big?

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Implant size selection to achieve your goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Lastly, please make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The proper credentials and certification matters.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS