Is It Normal for the Doctor to Hit a Blood Vessel?

I had the Juvederm injected around my eyes today and the doctor hit a blood vessel and I have a big bruise and swollen vein is that normal?

Hitting a Blood Vessel with Juvederm

+1

There is always a possibility of hitting a blood vessel when inserting a needle into the skin.  A bulging vein is less likely and I would encourage you to call your treating physician to confirm whether or not it appears normal.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Hi Shelly. This is completely normal when having a filler injected around the eyes. The skin in thinner and has more blood vessels in the area, I suggest taking Arnica Forte to speed the healing process. 

How much bruising to expect after injections around the eyes

+1

The area around the eyes is very sensitive.  The skin is quite thin and there are many blood vessels in the area.  Bruising and swelling is therefore quite common and is much more likely to be prominent in this area compared to other areas of the face.  

Major bruising after a filler injection is not "normal" but it certainly is an expected risk of any facial injection.  Some swelling (edema) is also expected.  This can range from mild to severe as well.  Camouflage make up is helpful and can be applied right away as well.

I prefer to use cannulas (versus the needles which are included in the packaging with the fillers) for placing fillers around the eyes.  Cannulas are blunt tipped and so they tend to cause much less pain, swelling and bruising.  Even if your doctor uses cannulas, you should choose a time for your injection 

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm around eyes

+1

It is quite common to get bruising especially around the eyes after juvederm injection. The skin is very thin and it is a very vascular area.

Bruising after Juvaderm injections under the eyes

+1

The thin is skin under the eye (bruising and swelling appear more dramatic), and filler in the tear trough must be injected deeply (making it impossible to 100% see and avoid blood vessels in the area).  I would say that bruising and swelling in this area is common.  I advise patients to have tear trough filler injections done only when they have a good week that they can hide from their friends.  Using cannulas to inject can decrease the incidence of bruising to a degree.

Dara Liotta, MD

Is it normal for a doctor to hit a blood vessel during an injection?

+1

I would say this is common and can happen. Blood vessels can be hit with any type of injection but tend to be hit more around the eye area and since this area is thin-skinned, the bruising and swelling look worse there. The bruise will resolve and nothing dangerous has occurred. Mostly, it just sucks for the time-being.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Normal for a doctor to hit a blood vessel around the eyes ?

+1

It certainly can happen and bruises are the result of bleeding so its not uncommon on the face after injections.  I use a newer technique using a blunt cannula for that area.  This has resulted in less risk of bruising and better outcomes. 

Sam Naficy, MD