Nipples Sore One Year After Breast Reduction Surgery, What can I Do?

I had a breast reduction a year ago. I'm African American so I got keloids around my nipples and under my breast as well. The keloids hurt from time to time, but what is more painful right now is my nipples. I fell asleep on my stomach two nights ago and since then my right nipple has been very sensitive to touch and pressure. Its actually a shooting pain throughout my breast. Is there anything I can use or do to soothe this?

Nipple sensitivity after surgery

+2

The right recommendation requires a correct diagnosis.  Hypersensitivity of the nipple itself can be from infection or nerve injury.  If the pain is new it is more likely that you have clogged gland or duct or a small band of scar tissue may have torn while you slept on your stomach.  Scar pain is a completely different problem and may respond to steroid injections.  Ask your surgeon if you are a candidate for systematic desensitization.

Sore nipples post reduction

+1

I think you could try a medrol steroid pack or even soem injections with long acting anesthetic agents or even a combination of steroid/local,You may also try a course of anti inflammatory meds such as advil or ibuprofen.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity

+1

It sounds like your sensitivity is due to pressure from the way you were lying on your chest.  More than likely it will get better over time.  If concerned, see your surgeon.

Nipples Sore 1 Year after Breast Reduction?

+1

Based on your description, the discomfort you are feeling is related to an episode of pressure (falling asleep on the stomach). Generally, based on this mechanism of “injury” I would expect the hypersensitivity to be self limited ( resolved over the next few days).  In the meantime the use of anti-inflammatories ( assuming you are not allergic)  may be helpful.

Of course, as always, direct examination by your plastic surgeon may be more helpful than what I can do for you online.