Nipple Sensation After Breast Reduction

Hi! I had a breast reduction a year and a half ago (June 2010). I went from a size DD to a size C. Since the operation, I have not regained sensation to both nipples. Is this normal after such a long time? Can I still hope to have the sensation come back?

Loss of Nipple Sensation After Breast Reduction

+2

Loss of nipple sensation is a recognized complication of breast Reduction surgery. In the process of removing the excess breast tissue some of the sensory branches from the nipple are injured as well. In the majority of such women, there is nerve outgrowth with regaining of some sensation. however, at a year and a half sfter surgery you can unfortunately assume that things would not get better.

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1
Decrease in nipple sensation is possible with a breast reduction. This is often temporary, though. It is difficult to say whether this will be permanent for you (although it could be considering it has been a year and a half since your surgery).

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Nipple Numbness?

+1
Dear Hippie,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normally. Extremely rarely, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction. Signs that sensation is comming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchyness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Loss of Nipple Sensation after Breast Reduction

+1

Loss of nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery is uncommon, but unfortunately, may be permanent.  Most patients regain nipple sensation within 6-12 months following surgery, however, some may take up to two years.  Though uncommon, loss of nipple sensation is a known and unpredictable risk of breast reduction surgery.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Loss of nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1

Loss of nipple sensation after breast reduction occurs about 10% of the time and is sometimes permanent.  If sensation hasn't returned at 1 year, it is not likely to return. Some individuals have had return of sensation at 2 years but this is the exception and not the rule.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Loss Of Nipple Sensation After Reduction

+1

A certain number of women will have a permanent loss of nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery.  The percentage is in the neighborhood of 3-6%, depending upon the technique used.  If you have had no improvement in your nipple sensation 18 months following your reduction surgery, it is unlikely that you will you a change in the future.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction and Nipple Sensation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of sensation after breast reduction surgery. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that significant sensation will return at this point. Hopefully, you are pleased with the benefits that breast reduction surgery  usually affords.

Sensation in nipples

+1

If you do not have sensation in your nipples after a year and a half, it is likely you will never get it back.