Nipple Sensation After Breast Reduction

Hi! I had a breast reduction a year and a half ago (June 2010). I went from a size DD to a size C. Since the operation, I have not regained sensation to both nipples. Is this normal after such a long time? Can I still hope to have the sensation come back?

Loss of Nipple Sensation After Breast Reduction

+2

Loss of nipple sensation is a recognized complication of breast Reduction surgery. In the process of removing the excess breast tissue some of the sensory branches from the nipple are injured as well. In the majority of such women, there is nerve outgrowth with regaining of some sensation. however, at a year and a half sfter surgery you can unfortunately assume that things would not get better.

Loss of Nipple Sensation after Breast Reduction

+1

Loss of nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery is uncommon, but unfortunately, may be permanent.  Most patients regain nipple sensation within 6-12 months following surgery, however, some may take up to two years.  Though uncommon, loss of nipple sensation is a known and unpredictable risk of breast reduction surgery.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Loss of nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1

Loss of nipple sensation after breast reduction occurs about 10% of the time and is sometimes permanent.  If sensation hasn't returned at 1 year, it is not likely to return. Some individuals have had return of sensation at 2 years but this is the exception and not the rule.

Loss Of Nipple Sensation After Reduction

+1

A certain number of women will have a permanent loss of nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery.  The percentage is in the neighborhood of 3-6%, depending upon the technique used.  If you have had no improvement in your nipple sensation 18 months following your reduction surgery, it is unlikely that you will you a change in the future.

Breast Reduction and Nipple Sensation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of sensation after breast reduction surgery. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that significant sensation will return at this point. Hopefully, you are pleased with the benefits that breast reduction surgery  usually affords.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Sensation in nipples

+1

If you do not have sensation in your nipples after a year and a half, it is likely you will never get it back.