How Much Lipo Comes with a Standard Tummy Tuck?

I'm getting what the Dr said was a standard tummy tuck. I asked if there would be lipo and he said he would just 'feather' the sides. What exactly does that mean and how much? will it make a difference or not?

"Feathering" with tummy tuck

+1
In my mind, feathering denotes a small amount of lipo in the flanks but you should ask your plastic surgeon precisely what he meant by the expression and how much liposuction it would entail in your case. A small amount of lipo will not remove very much fat but may be beneficial in terms of contour.

How Much Lipo and Tummy Tuck

+1

The best advice for this is to ask the doctor more specific questions or go to the website and look at before and after pics to see what you can expect.  I sometimes liposuction 3 liters or so with a tummy tuck.  This makes a substantial difference in the results.  Whereas less than 1 liter may not be noticeable.   A standard tummy tuck does not involve liposuction.

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

We all do this a little differently.  I always do liposuction with a tummy tuck. If there is a lot of excess fat in the flank area or other area then there is an additional charge. Ask the PS who you saw what exactly he is going to do or what outcome you can expect.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lipo With Standard Tummy Tuck

+1

As your surgeon described, I typically include some liposuction of adjacent flanks as a part of my stardard tummy tuck and do charge additionally for this.  If a larger area of abdomen needs lipo, I prefer to do this as a later procedure.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck

+1

This question must be answered with your doctor based on your goals and desires of your surgery.  It will depend on your skin, health and extent of your fat deposits.

John M. Hiebert, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

+1

That question can only be answered by your surgeon--all surgeons have their own definitions and pricing policy. 

Often feathering means doing a small amount of  lipo at the edges of the excision so there is no harsh break off between the treated and non-treated areas. Often this is a small amount, and included in the cost of the TT. 

Best wishes for your upcoming procedure.