How Soon Can I Use Paper Tape on an Abdominal Incision?

Hi, I'm going to be having laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst. One of the incisions is going to be on my stomach parallel to my navel. I'm worried about scarring and was wondering how soon can I put paper tape over the incision to minimize the appearance of a scar? And how soon can I start massaging scar cream on the incision? Thank you.

When can tape for scars be placed on incison

+2

As long as your surgeon does not object, I think you can start as soon as 48 hours post-operatively.

Abdominal incision scar and tape

+2

Thank you for your question. Rather than using paper tape over your incision to minimize the appearance of a scar, we suggest using a silicone sheeting cream. We recommend BioCorneum. We use this regularly in our practice. We have found using it minimizes and softens the appearance of scars. If you have no dressings over your incisions, you can start using the cream as soon as your surgeon gives you the okay.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Paper Tape To Improve Scarring

+2

Although I think you can use paper tape to improve your scar immediately and I do that it is helpful, I would suggest using an over-the-counter scar reducing product which contains silicone.  The cost will be a bit more but I think that you will get a better result.

John Whitt, MD

Paper Tape on an Abdominal Incision

+2

I do not recommend any scarring agents applied to the scars until a few weeks after surgery.  During that initial time the body is laying down scar.  Only later when the scar is remodeling do these agents potentially help.

Early wound care to decrease scarring

+2

This is going to be a matter of personal choice and your unique skin type.  I generally apply steri-strips to an abdominal incision for the first week after surgery.  If the incision is healing well then it has been shown to be useful to keep the incision taped for the first 3 weeks.  This keeps some of the early tension off of the scar and helps with healing as long as the skin does not become irritated.  I avoid stretchy type tape that can blister the skin.  

Paper tape

+2

I usually have the patient wait until the incision is fully sealed and closed. This is usually at a week to two weeks.  There are other ways to manage I ions. Most do well with moisturizing, massage and avoiding sun or tanning booths.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Paper tape for incisional scarring

+2

I don't know exactly what you mean by paper tape.  There is silicone sheeting which is used to reduce scar hypertrophy but it is premature to anticipate that you will have such a scar.  Laparoscopic surgery leaves very small incisions.  I encourage you to discuss the wound closure with your gynecologic surgeon and to share your concerns about scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+2

This question is best addressed to your surgeon. You may find that a steristrip will be applied at surgery. Any external agents should be avoided until the incision is entirely closed--usually a week. Most incisions jheal nicely without intervention. 

Best wishes for your upcoming procedure. 

Paper tape on incision

+2

The short answer is it varies a lot depending on multiple factors. I often use paper tape (Steri-strips) for incisions and put it on in the operating room. But each surgeon has his or her own routine. So you should check with your surgeon and follow his or her recommendations. Good luck with your surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon