My Question is Regarding Miradry. Odor is More my Problem than Sweat. Will This Procedure Help?

will this reduce or eliminate the oder? My shirts are so hard to wash because I use deoderant to mask the oder. I am 16 years old. I exfoliate, shave and scrub. I tried drysol, it iritated my skin and every deoderant and anti persperant that I can find. Please help. What else can I do?

Possibly effective

+1
OK, miraDry targets eccrine glands, the glands that produce sweat. In most cases odor is a combination of sweat produced by eccrine glands, and also odor from apocrine glands. Hence if both eccrine and apocrine glands are selectively reduced in number, odor should decrease. 
2 treatments are needed, spaced 3 months apart. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Effective Treatment

+1

Miradry is FDA approved for both odor and sweat reduction.  The real advance with this procedure is that it is minimally invasive with very little downtime and has approximately an 80-85% reduction with two treatments.  The results are permanent and unless a patient wants more reduction, third treatment, there is no need to repeat treatments.

Surgical options are available but have significant downtime and risks and the neurotoxins like Botox are temporary requiring multiple treatments.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

MiraDry for Sweat and Odor Reduction

+1

Miradry is a great treatment for you. It is the only FDA approved sweat and odor reducing procedure available on the market. The microwave technology targets the eccrine (sweat) glands and the aprocrine (odor) glands in the underarms. Two treatments are recommended usually 3 months apart.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

MiraDry for underarm sweat and odor

+1

Yes, the MiraDry procedure helps eliminate odor related to sweat, which is also known as bromhidrosis.  The MiraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  MiraDry is the only device on the market that is able to eliminate both eccrine (normal sweat) apocrine ("smelly" sweat) glands.  Botox injections also work to help decrease (non-smelly) sweating, but results are more temporary as injections need to be repeated every 4-6 months with Botox effects wearing off near the end of that time frame.  MiraDry is the only FDA-approved procedure that offers long-lasting results and the only procedure that has been shown in studies to treat "smelly" sweat.  Studies demonstrate that results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  At the present time, both Botox and MiraDry are only approved for those 18 years of age and older. 

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Miradry helps sweat and odor

+1

Miradry can help you with your problem of sweat as well as odor because it has an effect on both the eccrine glands (sweat glands) and apocrine glands (odor glands). The reduction of sweat may be great enough to eliminate need for strong antiperspirants and deoderants but will certainly reduce the sweat enough that these agents work much better. If odor continues to be a problem without a lot of sweat a prescription topical antibiotic gel applied at night can be helpful by reducing the bacteria that act on the sweat to produce odor 

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

MiraDry for bromhidrosis - underarm odor

+1

miraDry is FDA approved for underarm hyperhidrosis but it also helps patients with coexistent bromhidrosis. I have seen this in my miraDry patients and it does help. The sweat (eccrine sweat) is water and electrolytes and originates from eccrine swet glands and miraDry destroys these glands. The oily secretions originate in apocrine glands and these glands are also destroyed histologically by the miraDry procedure.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

MiraDry Can Help Eliminate Both Underarm Sweat AND Odor

+1

Dear Helen1,

miraDry is typically very effective for both reducing underarm sweat as well as underarm odor.

While sweat itself has little smell, the breakdown of sweat by bacteria that live on the surface of the skin leads to sweat byproducts that have a strong odor. Because miraDry eliminates sweating, there is no sweat to be broken down to the offensive waste products. Hence, the odor is usually eliminated. As it turns out, the elimination of underarm odor is the primary reason that many people in Japan are turning to miraDry.

Warmest wishes,
Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Miradry and botox can be both very helpful

+1

Odor in the armpits is the result of breakdown of sweat into malodorous products by the bacteria that live on the surface of the skin.  By decreasing sweating odor will also decrease significantly since there is less substrate (sweat) for the bacteria to work on.  Miradry accomplishes the decrease in sweating by selectively heating the sweat glands that reside in the skin.  This procedure is long lasting.  Botox works by decreasing the pumping ut of sweat from the sweat ducts.  This is however is temporary and lasts on the order of six months on average.  Miradry would be safe in your age group in my opinion.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Both perspiration and odor are improved by MiraDry treatment

+1

In many people both perspiration and odor are improved by MiraDry treatment. Although most people seeking treatment are older than 18, we have success in teenagers as well.

David Goldberg, MD