My Nose is Pointy Like a Beak. Do You Think I Am a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty? (photo)

My nose is pointy like a beak! Do you think i am a good candidate for Rhinoplasty? I want a natural good side profile for once. I have always hated my nose and really want a nose job to make my nose look normal but everyone of my friends says i dont need one. i think my nose takes up my whole face and i hate any photos of me on the side. Honest thoughts please?

Improving the nasal profile with rhinoplasty

If you hate the appearance of your profile, then rhinoplasty can certainly improve it and make it more attractive.  Reducing your dorsal hump (bridge) to give you a more feminine profile will make the nose appear a bit smaller, a bit shorter, and "prettier".   A great way to see how specific changes will affect the look of your nose, and determine whether you like it or not, is to sit down with your surgeon and have him/her perform photomorphing with your pictures.  

Rhinoplasty for a natural looking profile

Rhinoplasty can certainly be performed to make your nose less “beak-like”.  According to the profile photos, removing the dorsal hump on the bridge will help.  The depressor septi ligament can be released to prevent the tip from drooping down upon animation.  Rhinoplasty is performed under a brief general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  Please refer to the link below for before and after photos of a patient who had similar concerns as you.  

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery techniques may be used to improve the appearance of your nose.

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Rhinoplasty Surgery techniques may be used to remove your profile hump, and deproject your tip. This may lead to a more pleasing nasal appearance.

You may want to consult several experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons to see what to expect after well-performed surgery.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need for Rhinoplasty

You don't need a rhinoplasty but you can improve your nose with surgery. Although we all listen to the suggestions of friends and family members the changes you're considering are for you, not them. Your profile can be refined so your nose is in proportion to the rest of your facial features. Without other pictures I cannot comment on the rest of your nose.

My Nose is Pointy Like a Beak. Do You Think I Am a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

Yes, the photo shows a dorsal hump of nasal bone and cartilage that could be reduced with a Closed Rhinoplasty.  It would require breaking the nasal bones which is standard in this type of nasal refinement.  

Bridge hump removal

It sounds like you're a potential candidate for rhinoplasty. The concerns you're expressing and photos show a relatively common (in my experience) type of over sized nose.

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to help you. The decision to have surgery should be up to you. What matters is that your current nose has bothered you for a long time.

You can check out my link below to learn more about reducing humps from the bridge.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the photos. From your profile, you certainly can have some improvement to soften the profile.  Of course, an exam in person would be essential.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty consultation with computer imaging

From  your photographs it appears that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  It would be good to see a photo from the front to be able to tell more about the tip of your nose.  The take off point of your nose from your eyebrow area appears to be a bit low.  This is called a low radix.  One technique to correct your nose would be a modest lowering of the nasal dorsum with a possible cartilage graft at the radix area.  Also the tip can be refined depending upon how your nose looks from the front.   Your next step is a consultation with computer imaging.

Rhinoplasty with natural results

• Thanks for the photos.  
  • Your friend's opinion that your nose doesn't "need" rhinoplasty is true.  They like you no matter how your nose looks.  
  • The choice of changing the shape of your nose is yours to make, but a good surgery consult can help you make that decision. 

Best Wishes on your choices.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based upon the photos posted and without an in person examination you appear to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Seek in person consults from boarded surgeons in your area.