Can Breasts Still Even out and Drop 4 Months After Augmentation?

Hi, I am 4 months post op and my left fluffed out and is bigger on the bottom while the right one sits higher has more fullness on top and is not full on buttom---I am guessing it hasn't fluffed? I am super worried that they will stay this way..I do not think I have capsular contracture, since my surgeon said they are healing nicely but I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE IS BLIND...what is so nice about 2 different boobs...will they ever drop or is 4 months post up already too long of a time?

After 3 Months, Breasts Should Be in Position After Augmentation

After a breast augmentation, most of the changes really should be done by three months.  If after 4 months you still have one breast that appears not to have settled into position, or is remaining higher then the other side, chances are this is how it is going to stay at this point.  The first thing to do is to look at your preoperative pictures.  Alot of women do not ralize they have some degree of asymmetry before having surgery.  Once the implants are in, they magnify asymmetries, and make them more apparent.  This is something that you should discuss with your surgeon. 

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Breast and symmetric healing after augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. In addition, it is not uncommon for one breast to be more swollen than the other and may even out with time (unless they were asymmetric in size to begin with). It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).  At four months, a good deal of settling will have happened (although more may continue).  I would also assess your pre-op photos as it is common for one breast to be higher than the other.   Also revisit with your plastic surgeon who can better evaluate and assess your post-op healing.

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breasts Dropping & Recovery Following Augmentation

It’s not unusual for patients to have asymmetry and implant malposition following breast augmentation. This malposition can occur for a variety of reasons. In some cases, asymmetry may be present prior to surgery. This may involve the actual breast tissue or the underlying chest wall. In other cases, asymmetry may be created during the surgical procedure. An example might include the creation of asymmetric inframammary folds. Finally, asymmetry may develop in the post-operative period. An example would be the development of a unilateral capsular contracture. This phenomena results in a progressive deformity which becomes more noticeable with the passage of time.

Without preoperative pictures and a physical examination it’s difficult to know the cause of your breast asymmetry. Despite this, it’s important to realize that wound healing is a dynamic process that takes months to occur. Muscle spasm, swelling, and skin tightness take time to resolve before secondary surgery is a consideration.

Although there’s definitely reason for concern when asymmetry is still present four months following surgery there’s still the potential for improvement. For this reason implant displacement exercises may result in the right implant dropping into a more normal position. If these maneuvers fail, then revisional surgery may be necessary but shouldn’t be undertaken for at least six months after surgery.

It’s important that you maintain close contact with your surgeon. Your surgeon will be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for your problem. 

Wait it out or revision surgery

You can wait it out to see if they settle, or you can ask your surgeon about a revision so that the implant can drop lower.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

Although it generally takes about 4 months for drop and fluff to occur, it can take longer and be at different rates for each breast. Please wait for a bit longer since you've just passed the four month mark. Best of luck.

Need more time for the implants to settle into position

The implant shape may change but they will not looks smaller as they drop. At this point you just need to wait and allow gravity and you tissues to accommodate to the implant volume.

Uneven breasts

Your breasts have probably reached their maximum or are close to it as far as dropping into the pockets.

If your right breast is hard, then you may have a capsular contracture that is giving your fullness above the braline.  It seems that your left breast has dropped more naturaly.  Your tan lines speak volumes about the fact that in a bra/bathing suit, you are comfortable but out of one, you are not comfortable with the difference.

You need to begin/continue your discussions with your plastic surgeon so you can determine the timing of a revision if you both think it is necessary.  I do think that waiting several more months is indicated to allow for the chance of further evening.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Breast implants can settile for up tto 6-9 months.

Be careful what you ask for! These are relatively large implants for your petite frame. It is still early and I tell my patients that it may take 6-9 months for implants to settle or as you describe with the term ('fluff").My guess is that your right breast was the smaller breast and the skin is taking more time to stretch and relax, Preferential breast implant displacement exercises may help in this regard. 

With time, please be advised that they may continue to drop given your thin body habitus and relatively small lower pole.