Mommy Makeover w/ Stents?

I just turned 48 in Feb. but had a heart attack due to clogged arteries. I take all the meds and exercise eat right and don't smoke. I am only waiting for my one year to be up so I can stop the plavix for the 10 days or so that I will need to be off. My PS is planning to do this in the hospital just to be safe so I don't think he has any worries. I know I don't. Do you think it would be best to go under, or stay awake? I'm really not sure about that part but I would rather be out. I want this!

Mommy makeover

+3

With your coronary artery stents in place I would agree that doing this in the hospital would be best.  If your cardiologist is on board and other safety measures, such as pumps on you legs , are in place, then, yes, I believe it would be acceptable to go ahead.  If you were my patient I would put you under general anesthesia.

Wishing you all the best,

Tal Raine MD FACS

Medical clearance before plastic surgery

+3

I have operated on patients under general anesthesia with stents in place successfully. Depending on the type of surgery this has been performed in my office operating room or the hospital. The planning for surgery however must be coordinated with you medical doctors. In some cases they want anticoagulation in your system at all times. We have used injectable low molecular weight heparin to accomplish this and then placed the patient back on their previous medications after surgery. It is of paramount importance that your plastic surgeon coordinate your care with your cardiologist and general internist.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mommy Makeover

+2

Discuss this with the surgeon and anesthesiologist before you make any decision.  Also discuss with the Dr. who prescribes the Plavix.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover with cardiac stents

+2

I would require you to have a clearance from your cadiologist that you could have this surgery and be off your Plavix for at least 5 days before and after the surgery.   He/she would likely want to do a stress test before surgery.  Mommy makeovers are a wonderful thing but they are not worth dying for!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Mommy Makeover after Cardiac Stents

+2

Well, your heart is much healthier and so you are a better risk after your cardiac stents then you were before!    Plavix and aspirin cannot be taken just before or after your procedure, and suddenly stopping them without your cardiologist's approval is not a good idea.  Your surgeon can evaluate your condition with your cardiologist and determine whether it is safe or not for you to undergo the procedures and the type of anesthesia that is best.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Is Mommy Makeover surgery after cardiac stents safe

+2

Having elective cosmetic surgery after coronary artery stenting is possible provided your have appropriate evaluation and take the necessary steps to optimize the safe performance of the surgery.

The major problem is not your heart as much as how to safely deal issue of anti-coagulation.  

Depending on what type of stent you have, you may at some point be able to safely stop taking Plavix entirely.  

In other cases you will need to work with your cardiologist, plastic surgeon and hematologist to prevent clotting of the stented artery and yet stop the Plavix long enough to safely perform the elective cosmetic surgery.

If your doctors feel it is safe to proceed, then you may be able to have the mommy makeover surgery that you desire.

See MommyMakeoverSite.com for more information.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Mommy makeover with cardiac history

+2

As with any patient undergoing a major procedure, medical clearance is required.  In your case, thorough medical and cardiac clearance prior to a mommy makeover is essential, and the surgery should probably be done in the hospital with an overnight stay.  If your heart attack was as recent as February, it would probably be best to delay consideration of a mommy makeover for at least several months.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Clearance for Surgery

+2

If you have previous cardiac issues, then you would need a complete cardiac workup and medical clearance from your cardiologist prior to surgery.  Additionally your surgery should be done in a fully accredited hospital so that all resources would be available in the unlikely case of a cardiac issue during surgery.  Additionally, should you have surgery, it should be done under anesthesia, performed by a board-certified anesthesiologist, with proper monitoring and post-op care plan.  Plastic surgery is elective surgery and every precaution should be make to ensure your safety.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Mommy makeover

+2

In my practice you need a complete cardiac clearance. Stress test with stress echo. and have to PASS the tests 100%.

Then will consider for surgery. May even keep you in the hospital overnight.

The longer you wait the better.

Consult your cardiologist not the internet.

You need cardiac clearance.

+1

Because mommy makeover is an elective surgery, you want to make sure that your medical condition is optimized in order to prevent peri-operative risks and complications.  You need a clearance/ and a thorough evaluation from your cardiologist.  Depending on your cardiologist's recommendation, you will need stress test/echocardiogram.  Please make sure that your plastic surgeon, anesthesiologist, and cardiologist communicate prior to your surgery and agree on peri-operative care such as Plavix and need for anticoagulation.  You should stay in the hospital after surgery; general anesthesia would be safer for you.  

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS