How Many mm Can I Shave off my Nasal Bridge, and Still Look Natural? (photo)

I want to have a rhinoplasty to decrease my nasal bridge, as well as get rid of my nasal hump. How much will I need to shave off for it to be as small as the last picture?

How Many mm Can I Shave off my Nasal Bridge, and Still Look Natural?

+1

Dear Yamamura,

Thank you for your question.  This is an answer that needs to be determined in person, even then, this is modulated during surgery as the shaving happens in a slow process, because it is easier to take out than to put back. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

The exact number of millimeters can be measured during an exam.   Probably around 3 mm.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Hump removal rhinoplasty

+1

The amount of hump removal is made by the surgeon at that time he/ she is performing the surgery itself. Most hump removals required 2-4 mm of cartilage and bone to be removed during the procedure. The length of the  hump removal is also important to determine the final result. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on our website for you to try out to give yourself an idea of what amount of hump reduction you're looking for on your nose

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/progallery/dorsalhumpy_photos24.html

How Much Nasal Bridge/Hump Should be Removed During Rhinoplasty to Maintain a Natural Look?

+1

Hi Yamamura,

You will need to shave off 3.14356278401936 millimeters to obtain the nose in the last picture.  Actually, rhinoplasty is a sculpting art, the amount of reduction is determined at the time of the operation by the surgeon and their artistic vision.  As Gaylon McCollough, MD has written, as rhinoplasty surgeons we should "listen to the nose" as we operate and sculpt.  Michelangelo said that he saw the angel within the marble and carved until it was freed.  There is no exact amount of nasal hump to be removed that can be determined prior to surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

+1

From the photos provided, there's not much of a dorsal bump at all...so several mm's.  It is aesthetically appropriate for the bridge to be lower than the nasal tip, which would be the outcome if you reduced your bump with a Rhinoplasty.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photos are of such poor quality that is unreasonable to expect an answer of this degree of specificity. I am not sure I even see a hump to remove. It sounds like you have a Caucasian type of nose and want it to look more Asian. I am not sure a prudent surgeon would be willing to do that because of the risk of creating a ski slope etc.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Rhinoplasty

+1

You need to see a board certified surgeon to determine what will give you the look you desire.  They should be able to morph photos to see what will work for your case.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Hump removal for desired result

+1

Hump removal to get the desired results is determined  by many factors. Find an experienced surgeon who will examine your nose and look at his results!

Computer generated imaging may help

+1

It is hard to tell from your photograph but the amount of dorsal reduction can be determined by using computer generated imaging.  In this manner you can have some input on what features you like. 

Dorsal Reduction (Shaving the Bridge)

+1

It's not possible to say from pictures alone, but it looks like 2-3mm would be the maximum dorsal reduction that would keep your nose looking natural and proportionate. Other considerations include the nasal airway and the effect that this would have on breathing. Best of luck moving forward.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon