Tilted Nose After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a Rhinoplasty done 16 days ago for my dorsal hump and nural bone deviation. I find that as time passes on it's tilting back in the direction it was tilted prior to the surgery. Is this a cause for concern? My doctor told me that together with the Deviated Septum and his straightening my nose was going to look 80% better and natural looking, but I'm finding that it's looking more noticeably tilted. Is three weeks an indication of the final result?

Early result of Rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for including the photos! As I'm sure you discussed with your surgeon, the early results of rhinoplasty can be difficult to gauge. Often, an area that looks deviated or crooked right after surgery can be asymmetric swelling that resolves with time. It is very difficult for both the patient and surgeon when things don't look perfect right away but the most important thing is to really give it time; minor asymmetries that were evident at 3 weeks will have often disappeared by 6-12 weeks. In many cases the true final results of rhinoplasty are not evident until 1 year after surgery! It's only in the rare case that any revisions would be done prior to that. Consider addressing your concerns with your surgeon. I'm sure they would be happy to discuss this with you. Best of luck to you!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tilted Nose After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your question.  Two things could be happening.  First, swelling could be temporarily tilting the nose, and second, the septal cartilage may be warping back to its original or similar position.  Unfortunately, there is nothing to do at this point except wait.  It takes many months for swelling to resolve.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

A deviated nose is sometimes the most difficult to completely correct.  That said, you are early in the post operative period.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but be patient.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty at 16 days

+1

At 16 days you probably have a lot of swelling.  Give it more time to heal this asymmery may improve with time. 

Tilted Nose After Rhinoplasty?

+1

In a few cases the early result can appears un improved/ This might be one of these cases. Best to see your surgeon for a "frank" discussion. 

Deviated nose after Rhinoplasty 16 days

+1

A confirmed assessment cannot be made without seeing the before photos and knowing what was done during the surgery, but there is a lot going on with the nose in the photo that will require revision at some time. Sorry but I cannot candy coat my response.

R W Maloney  

Richard W. Maloney, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tilted Nose After Rhinoplasty?

+1

There are very few noses that are completely straight after trying to correct a crooked nose.  At this point, it is probably too early to make any sweeping judgments.  I would give it at least 3 to 6 months before deciding about a revision.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tilted Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

If your surgeon performed "osteotomies" (repositioning of the nasal bones), you will have swelling throughout for some time.  Although early malposition is possible, it is relatively (and surprisingly) rare.  The most important thing to remember is that you will not see your final result for 9-12 months.  Three weeks is not an indication of the final result.  It is perfectly reasonable to see your Plastic Surgeon back at your earliest convenience.

Jarrod Little, MD