How Do I Minimize Nose Spreading when Smiling? Will This Change With TIme?

I just had rhinoplasty 10 days ago to raise and define my tip, and narrow my nostrils. I love my nose already even though I know it's still swollen. However, when I smile, it still looks very wide because my nostrils move outward a lot when I smile. Is there anything that can be done to stop or minimize the widening of my nostrils when I smile? Also, how long would I have to wait before getting this done?

Nose widens when smiling

+1

OK, the crease under your eyes you asked about is from swelling after rhinoplasty, so obviously, no treatment until swelling completely resolves, in my opinion, at least two months.  Regarding widening of the nasal base when you smile, alar base resection improves this.  If it wasn't done as part of your rhinoplasty, may be done in the office afterward.

+1

Sadly, No.  The nostrils will not magically shrink inwards during the post Rhinoplasty healing phase and will continue to spread and widen when you smile.  This is a normal anatomical function, even though a more pronounced one in your particular case.

How Do I Minimize Nose Spreading when Smiling?

+1

It is natural to be "nose fixated" after nose surgery. I would suggest you stop looking in the mirror for now until the healing is completed. In 8-12 months, should you still have what you consider excessive alar flaring, at that time a professional evaluation may be indicated to see if you could be improved with either carefully placed Botox in the muscle causing the flaring or have a Weir Excision to reduce the flaring (at the cost of short scars at the lower junction of the nose and upper lip.

Wide nostrils

+1

Be patient. This is going to change in a month and then again in 2 or 3 month. You don't have to try any tricks or procedures to speed it up. Enjoy the journey!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Widened Nose With Smiling

+1

Glad to hear you are happy with your nose.  The swelling will continue to improve.  Did you have an alar base reduction done at the same time?  That will help minimize the flaring of your nostrils you describe.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Minimizing Nose Spread When Smiling

+1

Hi Beemar,

The simplest answer is to stop smiling, smirk instead.  Glad to hear that you love your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD