Can I Still Have a Hump 3 Months After Rhinoplasty? Or Is It Swelling?

I underwent a closed rhinoplasty about 3 months ago just to file down a small dorsal hump. From one side of my face (right) the hump is not very noticeable, but from the other side (left), it looks bulky and not delicate. It feels somewhat spongy yet firm towards the bottom on the sides, but more bony towards the top. Could this still be post-operative swelling? Or do you think that my surgeon did not file down enough?

+2

Photos demonstrate a very small residual "hump" I believe it is not edema/swelling but over the internet can not be sure. Obtain an in person second opinion. 

Still have nasal "hump" 3 months post-op--what to do?

+2

By your description and photographs, this could be a combination of swelling plus incomplete removal. Only time will tell. If your surgeon feels this is scar tissue or swelling, then very conservative and judicious steroid injection(s) could help to reduce both swelling and scar tissue. If the tiny hump remains at one year, then re-operation is the only option to improve this, but with the additional information this time about how your body heals and forms scar tissue. Be patient and let things settle appropriately before doing something drastic or perhaps unnecessary! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Residual Hump after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is possible to have an incomplete reduction of the hump on the bridge of the nose after a rhinoplasty. If you can compress the area then it is likely to be swelling, but if it is firm or non-compressible it is likely to stay. You can have this addressed at a second procedure, but it is normally recommended to wait a full year from your surgery. Swelling will continue to resolve over time, and you can stay in contact with your surgeon to make the most appropriate plan.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Residual Hump or Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Getting a perfectly symmetric hump reduction by rasping through a closed reduction can be difficult. While what you may be feeling at this point is that little bit of bone asymmetry, it is still too early to make a final judgement as it is still possible some swelling and scar tissue is present that may still go away. I would wait a full six months and then consider a revision if it is still problematic for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

I don't think your nose looks bad at all from either side,.  The hump appears slightly more prominent from the left side which may decrease with time.  If you're concerned you should ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Still a nasal hump after three months

+1

Three months after your rhinoplasty, if the hump is still there it is likely to stay. Unfortunately, you should wait out a year, and if still unhappy go after it a second time.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Hi Madeline. 3 months following rhinoplasty, most but not all of the edema has resolved. The small irregularity demonstrated in your photo may very well be caused by edema. If the skin overlying this region feels 'spongy' as you note, or if the small hump is temporarily compressible when gentle pressure is applied with your finger, then those findings suggest edema may be contributing to the appearance of the small irregularity. Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Small convexity still present on nose 3 months following a rhinoplasty

+1

At three months there is still enough swelling present to be unequivocally certain that the slight convexity that you have definitely represents a "hump" that will remain. Give this at least another 3 - 6 months. If there is a small residual that remains, a surgical revision may very well be needed. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Possible Swelling from Rhinoplasty

+1

The swelling that you have experienced following your rhinoplasty is normal.  I advise my patients that after surgery they will most likely experience some noticeable swelling that will subside within two to six weeks.  Patients should know some minor swelling can remain for as long as six to nine months, and their nasal contour may continue to change.  Final results may not be seen until the six month mark. It is likely that you will not see any signifigant changes after nine months.  I suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon. 

Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon