What is the Best Scar Cream for Open Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty done about a week ago. I would like to buy a scar cream to make the incision cut go away. What is the best one or most commonly used? Can I buy this online or at a drug store?

The Best Scar Cream

+1

For an open rhinoplasty, I have my own scar cream that I have formulated which has Vitamin A, E, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin C cream. It helps to moisturize the area of your scar. The key is to apply a moisturizer twice a day for 6 months to the incision area.

Your Open Rhnioplasty incision should not require any topical scar-cream.

+1

In my practice, an open approach is preferred for nearly all nose job surgeries, and this scar heals incredibly well without the routine use of any topical preparations. If you want to try something, you could try a topical silicone product like Scar-Guard, but in my experience, this is largely unnecessary.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Cream after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

I'e never used a scar cream after an open rhinoplasty. This incision should heal well, without the need for post-op wound care.

Scar cream for rhinoplasty incision

+1

Thank you for your question. Your desire to speed up the recovery process is understandable. However, scar maturation needs time. As noted by other doctors, topical treatments are generally not required following a well-performed open rhinoplasty incision. Healing is typically excellent and imperceptible. Sunblock may prevent or minimize sun-related discoloration of maturing scars. For early scars that are slightly raised or demonstrate imperfect alignment of wound edges, silicon sheeting may be useful. If you have concerns about your healing, contact your surgeon - especially during the early postoperative period. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

The best scar treatment for open rhinoplasty at one week post-op is time!

+1

Precise surgical closure and expert technique are required, but your genetics of healing play a role in the final scar you will have. Any manipulation (scar cream, gel, sheets, massage, etc.) AT THIS TIME is only going to adversely affect your scar. It needs to become strong and durable before anything at all is done to try to "improve" your scar.

Again, precise closure and expert technique is the best way to get the best scar. At 3 weeks post-op I recommend Vitamin E oil massage to help soften and reduce swelling in any scar that seems a bit raised or firm, but usually nothing other than "tincture of time" is needed or recommended.

I'd ask your surgeon first, and then go easy on any scar treatment you plan to try. Most scar treatments benefit the seller much more than the purchaser! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scar after rhinoplasty

+1

In agreement with other responders, no specific management of your scar is indicated at this time except to avoid trauma and/or manipulation, which the application of scar medicaments may represent.  In the highly unlikely circumstance that the scar does not "melt away" over time, surgical revision, a minor office procedure, is the best treatment. 

Steve Laverson, MD

Ask your surgeon for his advice

+1

I have never seen a "bad scar" following rhinoplasty.  You are far too early in the post-operative period to consider any scar therapy.  At this point dilute peroxide and polysporin is all I recommend to my patients.  It is very unlikely that you would require silicone gel/sheets.  There is no evidence that Mederma is effective.  Ask your surgeon for their advice.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Open Rhinoplasty and Closed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO at 1 week after your Open Rhinoplasty, you shouldn't put anything on the scar, including Vit E or any scar creams.  I advise my patients to let the incision heal for 1 month, apply sunscreen when going outside after 1 week and during the 1 month follow up, I'll suggest scar fade cream be used if needed.

Facial Scar Cream

+1

Of course meticulous closure by the surgeon and avoidance of sun will help minimize scarring.  There is a silicone-based cream that is used for the face to minimize scars that I recommend for my patients.  It is only available through a specialist's office.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Open rhinoplasty scar.

+1

In over 35 years of open rhinoplasty, I have never had a bad scar. You need nothing to treat it if done properly.