Will Microdermabrasion Lighten my Dark Skin? I DO NOT Want my Skin to Be Lighter!

Hi, I am considering a course of microdermabrasion for my pores and other imperfections on my face but I am scared to do anything that will lighten my skin tone. I have a lovely dark chocolate complexion that has already started lightening in some areas. Is this a possibility with this treatment? Thanks for your help.

Microdermabrasion

+1

If the microdermabrasion is performed aggressively, it is possible to cause some inflammation that can result in temporary darker or lighter spots.  You should be assessed by a dermatologist who offers microdermabrasion to see if it would be appropriate for you.  Sun protection is important after treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Microdermabrasion effects on skin colour

+1

Microdermabrasion can be a useful treatment on its own, or often in combination with chemical peels and various creams to even out your skin tone and reduce blemishes. It can sometimes lighten or darken your skin temporarily, but is highly unlikely to change the colour of your skin permanently. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion and dark skin tone

+1

Sort of depends on the type of microdermabrasion and any topicals that may be used. Technically during microderm the surface is being lightly scraped, so depending on how your body responds to this, it could result in pigment irregularities, though I would say this would be extremely rare. I would recommend that you seek treatment at a dermatologist's office so that a physician is involved in your care directly. Don't just go to a random salon or spa, as they may not be as trained in dealing with darker skin tones.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD