Will Aggressive Microdermabrasion Remove Facial Hair?

Dear Doctors, I signed up for a series of 6 Diamond Acid Peel Microdermabrasion. The esthetician that performs the microdermabrasion uses an aggressive technique that feels like she's scraping my face. I've completed 4 out of 6 treatments and though I've seen an improvement in clogged pores and acne scarring, I'm concerned that the technique is removing the fine hair on my face and causing the hair to grow longer? Can that be possible? Can aggressive microdermabrasion remove facial hair? Thanks

Microdermabrasion and hair removal

+1

If the technique is removing anything it's removing the tiny "peach fuzz" hairs on your face. It's an old wive's tale that removing hairs like this makes the hairs grow back longer, thicker, or darker. Removing them with shaving, waxing, dermaplaning, or like this, with aggressive microderm technique, just removes the hairs for a portion of time and they come back exactly as they were. The only way to permanently remove hairs is to destroy the root itself which can only be done with a laser.

Microdermabrasion for acne scarring not for effective hair removal

+1

Aggressive microdermabrasion cannot remove facial hair permanently or cause it to grow back longer or thicker.  It may cut the hairs at the surface of your skin, the same way shaving would, but neither will cause more hair growth. 

Lasers are required for effective hair removal but will not work on fine, blonde facial hair.  There is no permanent way to remove this type of fine hair.  Shaving, waxing or threading are common ways to remove it temporarily.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist