Combining Microdermabrasion and Light Chemical Peels - Which Comes First?

I've seen a few posts regarding this topic but the one question that remains to be answered is: "Which comes first, the abrasion or the peel?" I know it is common practice to combine light peels and different types of abrasions but in a classic scenario with, for example, a glycolic peel and a microderabrasion, which one should be performed first? In theory the peel would prepare the skin for the abrasion whereas if done in reverse, the skin may react adversely to acid, no? Please advise!

Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peeling

+1

For the most part, we recommend doing microdermabrasion before chemical peeling or laser treatments.  As microdermabrasion exfoliates the skin, removing excess dead skin and cleaning out the pores, it helps prepare the skin for a chemical peel. Chemical peeling and laser also tends to make the skin more irritated and sensitive and so following either up with microdermabrasion would be difficult. So bottom line, the treatments in this order (microdermabrasion followed by chemical peeling or laser) are more effective and more tolerable, minimizing side effects and irritation. 

Microderm and Facials

+1

Almost always, we do the microdermabrasion first, followed by a laser treatment or a peel. The microdermabrasion removes very surface skin and helps prep the skin for the peel or laser treatment. Done the other way around just isn't as effective and often, the skin is too irritated to do a good microdermabrasion treatment.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD