Massaging Lip After Juvederm Injection

I had 3 injections of Juvederm over 3 weeks and finally have the results I want, except for a couple of bumps on the upper lip. Can I massage them out and/or reshape them? If so, when can I start?

Massage after lip augmentation

+1
I recommend that you do not massage the filler as you do not want to press too hard and/or move the filler into the wrong place. Lumps and bumps usually resolve on their own, once the filler starts to get incorporated with your own skin tissue. It would be best if you book a follow up appointment with your injector in 1-2 weeks, and he/she can massage any residual lumps or bumps at that time.

Juvederm and massage

+1
Juvederm is a great filler to plump up the lips. I usually perform gentle massage immediately after the procedure. I would not attempt to reshape them after injection.  Ice can help with any local swelling.  It there are bumps two weeks after treatment I would return to your treating physician for examination.

Michele S. Green, MD

Juvederm injections to the lips - Los Angeles

+1

Start immediately to massage the lips to avoid any uneven areas. Juvederm lip augmentation is an excellent option to contour lips. I perform these very often with amazing results. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Massaging the Lips after Filler Treatment

+1

Thanks for the great question. When I do any filler treatment, particularly in the lips, I place the filler exactly where it needs to go to highlight or enhance the shape of the lips. During the treatment session, I may massage the area a little to guard against bumps and distribute the product.  Afterward, I always recommend icing the area.  Small amounts of gentle massage at home can help with swelling and evenness in the first 2-3 days, but you have to be careful not to overdo it and change the shape or placement of the product.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Lip After Juvederm Injection

+1

Many experienced and expert injectors prefer that you not massage or reshape the treated area without discussing with them first. The injector can then guide you on the appropriate massage or request that you come in so he/she can do the massage.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Massage after Juvederm Injection

+1

If placed well Juvederm will settile very nicely with normal use of the mouth.  Thus any asymetries usually will correct over the first week or two. Massaging lips after Juvederm is only beneficial in the first 48 hours. If the bumps are visible or bothersome you may want to return to your physician and discuss your concerns. We see our clients a two weeks to address any of these concerns.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps in Upper Lip After Juvederm

+1

Hi,

Massaging bumps in the lip after Juvederm placement is best used within the first 1-2 days after your injection.  During this time period, you can often smooth out small bumps and spread them evenly in your lips.  If they persist past this period, you may want to show them to your doctor and see if they would benefit from a small amount of hyaluronidase to dissolve them.

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging the lips

+1

after filler injection of any kind it is beneficial to gently massage the lips. This is because anatomically the lips tend to compartmentalize tissue and injected material. This could lead to a lumpy appearence which gentle massaging can help avoid

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Lip augmentation

+1

Massage should begin early, typically within the first 48 hours.  Many of the small lumps you may feel will likely even out over the next few weeks.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Late

+1

Messaging with Juvederm works best within the first 48 hours and to a limited extent for the first week. After that, I am afraid your efforts will be fruitless. 

Your photograph is not clear, but your upper lip appears about 1/3 larger than the lower lip. The reverse should be true.  

If the lumps do not bother you should live with them with the knowledge that the product will eventually dissolve. Otherwise you might return to your physician and have hyaluronidase injections to eliminate the bumps. Sometimes the material can be extruded through a small incision, but anticipate swelling after this manuever. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist