Massage After Explant Surgery?

How soon after explant can I start to massage the breast area? It's been 2 weeks since my surgery. The capsule was removed only in my right breast were the implant was ruptured so I'm still little sore on that side. Is it still safe to start massaging?

Massage after Breast Implant Removal?

+2

Although there should be no contraindication to breast massage at this time, you may want to check with your plastic surgeon to be sure.

Massage

+1
Massage of the breast and axilla may result in increased chemical and silicone toxicity due to release of these into the blood stream via the lymphatics.  I have over 25 years of explantation experience and discourage this in my patients due to other patients reporting significant problems with silicone leakage or rupture.  Please see the information on the in The Naked Truth About Breast Implants.

Susan Kolb, MD

Breast Massage timing

+1

In general I have my patients start massage 2 weeks following surgery - as soon as it is comfortable to do so. Always check with your plastic surgeon for specific instructions tailored to your surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS