Swelling and Fluid Accumulation After Male Breast Reduction

It's now exactly three weeks after Vaser gynecomastia surgery and I have the same amount of swelling as I did two weeks ago. The pectoral region seems squishy and there is a substantial swelling, while being able to push the fluid around. My question is: will the swelling subside or is it possible for fluid accumulation to remain indefinitely? The swelling is more pronounced in the left than in the right (see pictures). Thank you for any information.

Swelling & Fluid Collections Following Gynecomastia Surgery: What to Do

+1

It’s unusual for patients to develop fluid collections following liposuction for gynecomastia. Although swelling following this procedure is common, the development of seromas is rare.

When diffuse swelling occurs after surgery the best treatment is the use of a compression garment. When an obvious fluid collection occurs, removal of the fluid is necessary to avoid secondary complications. Fluid can be aspirated with a needle and syringe with good results. If the fluid reaccumulates after multiple aspirations, then insertion of a drain should be considered.

In the majority of cases conservative management is appropriate. Patients who are suffering from significant post-operative swelling should consult their surgeon. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Seroma fluid needs to be removed

+1
I can not view the pics, but if fluid is present it should be removed. If not removed the fluid can lead to a list of potential problems. Your plastic surgeon will know how to deal with this issue.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Seroma fluid collection after gynecomastia (male breast) reduction

+1

Seroma after gynecomastia occurs relatively frequently but is usually easily treated with repeated aspiration over a 2-3 week period. Occasionally it may persist and require drain placement but that is highly unusual. I have never observed a permanent seroma in my experience.

Fluid collection after male breast reduction

+1

After liposuction of the chest for the correction of gynecomastia, one of the risks is the attenuation of fluid and a possible hematoma or seroma. Depending on the size of the collection the treatment of the symptoms varies. If it is a small collection your plastic surgeon may elect to closely observe this and to recommend anywhere a tight compressive garment at all times. If it is a larger collection however your plastic surgeon may elect to you insert a needle and to drain this collection. Afterwards a compressive garment is extremely important to make sure that the collection does not regionally.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Seroma after gynecomastia correction must be removed.

+1

Hi.

It sounds like you have fluid collections in your chest after male breast reduction.  These are called seromas and must be removed with a needle.  In New York City we do a sonogram to identify these liquid collections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Male chest reduction, recovery, gynecomastia, liposuction

+1

Dear Bogdan 111

If you had fluid in the area then you need to have this drained as soon as possible.  This most likely would require the insertion of drains since it is 3 weeks + post surgery.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Swelling and fluid accumulation after gynecomastia reduction

+1

Regarding :

1. "will the swelling subside ?" Yes. But , it takes months to resolve.

2. "or is it possible for fluid accumulation to remain indefinitely?" Significant fluid accumulation should be either drawn out with a needle or a drain needs to be placed. It is NOT a good idea to let a fluid collection sit as it may get infected and may even result in uneven healing of the breast.

You should have your surgeon examine you to make sure what you are describing is in keeping with normal healing.

Hope this was helpful.

Liposuction alone breast gynecomastia reductions

+1

Whenever you have a liposuction-alone gynecomastia reduction (as it appears you may have from your images,) you are choosing lesser surgery for the potential for lesser results. The hybrid technique also involving an incision below the areola on each side allows for greater volume reductions.

With that being said, the swelling from liposuction in the male chest can take some time to resolve. At three weeks you may still have a few months to go before the swelling resolves. Just be patient and wear whatever garment your doctor recommended to help contain swelling and mold your result. Also make sure your surgeon is seeing you through this period to be certain there is no fluid collection or anything else that may need to be addressed.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon